Tomlin, Tribe keep BoSox winlessApr 6, 2011 - 4:51 AM
"Tomlin was just fantastic," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "He kept those lefties off-balance the whole night with his four-pitch repertoire -- good changeup, overhand curve and he spotted his cutter very well."
Tomlin (1-0) allowed just three hits and one run while fanning three for the Indians, who got an RBI each from Orlando Cabrera, Jack Hannahan and Carlos Santana.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia produced the lone run for the Red Sox, who dropped to 0-4 for the first time since losing the first five to begin 1996.
Josh Beckett (0-1) was tagged in the loss for five hits and three runs while walking four and fanning four.
Saltalamacchia's RBI single in the second put the Sox on the board.
Cleveland stranded runners on second and third in the third inning, but broke through in the fourth via Cabrera's RBI double and Hannahan's run-scoring base hit.
Asdrubal Cabrera began the Indians' fifth with a double, moved up on a groundout and scored on Santana's sacrifice fly to give the Tribe a two-run edge.
Tomlin retired the side in order in the sixth, then stranded a runner on first in his final inning by getting J.D. Drew to fly out to left.
Tony Sipp turned in a scoreless eighth and Chris Perez left men on the corners in the ninth and picked up his first save by inducing a game-ending line out from David Ortiz.
"I put a good swing on it," Ortiz said. "Not too much you can do about it afterwards. What else can you do? Nothing. I put a good swing on the ball. That's about all you can do."
Boston also lost its first four games on the road in 1996...Coming into the series, the Red Sox were 40-25 since 2002 against Cleveland, and haven't lost a series to the Tribe since 2006...In 2010, Tomlin tossed at least 12 starts of five innings or more, just the second Indians rookie pitcher since 1920 to do so...Dustin Pedroia was the lone Boston player to collect more than one hit.
- BOSTON: 1
Apr 5 9:54 PM
- Carlos Santana sacrifice fly out to left scored Asdrubal Cabrera. None on with two outs and Travis Hafner due up.
Red Sox 1, Indians 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 5 8:43 PM
- J.D. Drew grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 1, Indians 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 5 8:30 PM
- Orlando Cabrera double to left scored Travis Hafner. Runner on second with one out and Austin Kearns due up.
Red Sox 1, Indians 1 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 5 8:18 PM
- Travis Hafner grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Orlando Cabrera due up.
Red Sox 1, Indians 0 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 5 7:38 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Carl Crawford due up.
Apr 5 7:07 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Boston's Kelly has no-bid broken up after 6 2/3 innings May 21