Streaking Twins hand Indians another home lossJun 7, 2011 - 5:10 AM
Delmon Young added two hits, a run scored and an RBI, while Baker (3-4) was charged with four runs -- three earned -- on nine hits over his seven-plus innings to extend Minnesota's season-high win streak to five.
"Every time I gave up some runs, we came back and answered," Baker said. "The offense picked me up."
Michael Brantley and Asdrubal Cabrera each homered during three-hit efforts for the Indians, whose starter, Josh Tomlin (7-3) was roughed up for six runs on nine hits in six frames.
Brantley sparked Cleveland early, doubling in front of Cabrera's 12th home run of the season in the first inning, then adding a solo shot in the fifth.
But between the Indians' power display, the Twins moved runners station-to- station and pushed five runs across.
Two came in the second frame when Tolbert's two-out hit brought in Michael Cuddyer and Young, the latter sliding just in front of Shin-Soo Choo's throw from right field.
Luke Hughes led of Minnesota's three-run fifth with a double, moved to third on Tolbert's bunt single and raced in when Drew Butera put down another bunt that went for a base hit. Tolbert later crossed home on Alexi Casilla's double-play ground ball, and Butera scored on a wild pitch.
"Both of those bunt plays could have been outs," Tomlin said. "I messed up both of those."
Doubles from Young and Cuddyer made it 6-3 in the sixth.
Baker was pulled after putting the first two hitters on in the eighth, and Jose Mijares induced a double play before Choo beat out an infield single to score Cabrera.
Alex Burnett struck out Matt LaPorta to strand Choo on second, and Matt Capps worked around a leadoff walk in the ninth to earn his eighth save of the season.
Minnesota came into the three-game series 12 1/2 games behind the American League Central-leading Indians...Cleveland last lost seven straight at home from June 12-26, 2003...The Twins have won eight straight in the series dating back to last year...Justin Morneau, who sat out the previous two games with a sore left wrist, went 0-for-4 in his 1,000th game with the Twins, the 16th player in franchise history to hit that mark...Over the weekend, Cleveland dropped four to Texas while Minnesota won four in Kansas City.
- MINNESOTA: 6
Jun 6 9:41 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo infield single to first scored Asdrubal Cabrera. Runner on first with two outs and Matt LaPorta due up.
Twins 6, Indians 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 6 9:17 PM
- Delmon Young double to right scored Michael Cuddyer. Runner on second with one out and Luke Hughes due up.
Twins 6, Indians 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 6 8:31 PM
- Michael Brantley one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Twins 5, Indians 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 6 8:24 PM
- Josh Tomlin's wild pitch scored Drew Butera. None on with two outs and Denard Span at the plate.
Twins 5, Indians 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 6 8:17 PM
- Alexi Casilla grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Matt Tolbert. Ben Revere out at second. Drew Butera advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Denard Span due up.
Twins 4, Indians 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 6 8:15 PM
- Drew Butera bunt single to first scored Luke Hughes. On the play, Matt Tolbert advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 3, Indians 2 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 6 8:13 PM
- Matt Tolbert single to right scored Michael Cuddyer and Delmon Young. On the play, Matt Tolbert advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Drew Butera due up.
Twins 2, Indians 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 6 7:28 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera none-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Michael Brantley. Grady Sizemore due up.
Twins 0, Indians 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 6 7:13 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 6 7:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21