Revere lifts Twins over Indians in extrasJun 8, 2011 - 9:24 PM
Matt Capps (2-3) entered to close the game in the bottom of the ninth and retired the first two batters he faced, but delivered a fastball to Hannahan down the middle of the zone. Hannahan blasted the pitch over the right-center field fence, making it a 2-2 contest.
But the Twins went back in front with a two-out run of their own. After Drew Butera doubled down the left field line off Chris Perez (2-2), Revere slapped a single to shallow left-center.
"I was just trying to look for a ball you can drive. Luckily, he threw it belt-high," Revere said. "I put a good swing on it, just found the gap."
Michael Brantley made a strong throw home, but the ball bounced high and Butera slid in safely. In the bottom half, Phil Dumatrait worked around a two- out double by Carlos Santana to record his first career save.
Revere went 3-for-5 with two RBI to help Minnesota end its road trip with a winning record. The Twins were swept in Detroit to begin the trip, but went 6-4 after taking two of three in this series.
The Indians, meanwhile, went just 1-6 on their homestand and have lost 11 of 15 overall. They will now head out on a seven-game road trip with stops in the Bronx and Detroit.
Cleveland starter Justin Masterson turned in a solid outing, allowing just two runs on nine hits in eight innings. But he didn't get much support. Grady Sizemore's home run in the sixth was the only run the Indians scored against Twins starter Carl Pavano.
Pavano pitched seven innings, giving up seven hits and walking one.
Cleveland went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position Wednesday, and 3- for-42 during their homestand.
"Very poor homestand, very disappointed that we couldn't get a win today for Justin," said Indians manager Manny Acta. "I thought he threw the ball very well. But we continue to struggle at the plate right now."
The Twins got on the board in the third inning, which Luke Hughes began with a single. He moved to second on Butera's groundout, then crossed the plate on Revere's hard line drive up the middle.
Revere opened the sixth with a single and stole second to get into scoring position. He advanced to third on a grounder and easily crossed the plate when Justin Morneau doubled to the right-center gap.
However, Sizemore opened the sixth by driving an opposite-field homer over the high wall in left field, bringing Cleveland within 2-1.
There might have been more runs in Wednesday's contest if not for several spectacular defensive plays.
One was made by Indians second baseman Cord Phelps, who made his major league debut and went 0-for-4. But in the seventh inning, he dove to catch a liner hit up the middle by Luke Hughes. The effort likely prevented a run from scoring, as the Twins had nobody out and Danny Valencia on second base at the time.
Hughes made an impressive play an inning later. Sizemore led off the eighth and scorched a ball toward first base, but Hughes dove to his right to make the grab.
To make room for Phelps, Cleveland optioned outfielder Shelley Duncan to Triple-A Columbus and transferred pitcher Alex White to the 60-day disabled list...Since the start of 2009, the Twins are 26-15 against Cleveland and have won 11 of the last 13.
- MINNESOTA: 3
Jun 8 2:55 PM
- Ben Revere singled to left scoring Drew Butera with two out. Revere advanced to third on Michael Brantley throwing error. Runner on third and Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 3, Indians 2 Top 10, 2 OutsJun 8 2:46 PM
- Jack Hannahan two-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Lou Marson due up.
Twins 2, Indians 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 8 2:42 PM
- Grady Sizemore lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Carlos Santana due up.
Twins 2, Indians 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 8 1:37 PM
- Justin Morneau doubled to right scoring Ben Revere with two out. Runner on second and Delmon Young due up.
Twins 2, Indians 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 8 1:33 PM
- Ben Revere singled to center scoring Luke Hughes with two out. Runner on first and Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 1, Indians 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 8 12:41 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 12:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21