Dobbs' 5 RBI guide Marlins over NatsJul 27, 2011 - 5:24 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Greg Dobbs went 3-5 with a home run and five RBI to power the Marlins past the Nationals, 11-2, in the first of a three- game set at Nationals Park.
Logan Morrison added a two-run homer and John Buck had a solo blast for Florida, which picked up its third straight victory.
Ricky Nolasco (7-7) gave up two runs on just three hits over 5 2/3 innings to earn the win.
"It's great to see those guys break out, and even better when you get an early lead," Nolasco said about his offense. "I was just going up there and trying to let those guys put the ball in play and get us back in the dugout."
Laynce Nix hit a solo homer and Michael Morse added an RBI double for Washington, which has lost five of six.
Jordan Zimmermann (6-9) was pegged with the loss after giving up six runs on eight hits in 6 2/3 frames.
"It was one of those games, I guess, where I have to put it behind me and turn the page. I think I just have to pick up the tempo from the start and I'll do a lot better," Zimmermann said about his performance.
Florida jumped to a 4-0 lead in the third. After Emilio Bonifacio hit a leadoff double, Omar Infante singled to put runners at the corners for Dobbs. Dobbs grounded into a double play, but Bonifacio scored on the play. Hanley Ramirez was then hit by a pitch before Morrison launched home run to right to clear the bases.
The Marlins added another run in the fifth after Dobbs hit a solo homer. Dobbs fell behind 0-2, but sent the next pitch -- a hanging slider -- into the right field bleachers.
The Nationals got on the board in the home half of the fifth following a Nix solo home run. Nix sent the 2-1 offering over the wall in right for his 13th homer of the season.
Washington scored another in the sixth to make it a 5-2 game. Ryan Zimmerman hit a single, then scored when Morse doubled to right-center, but the Nationals were unable to scrap together anymore runs.
Florida added one more in the seventh to stretch the lead to 6-2 before adding five more in the ninth. Pinch-hitter Bryan Petersen hit a lead-off double to right before moving to third on a sacrifice bunt from Bonifacio. Dobbs then singled to score Petersen.
Buck welcomed reliever Henry Rodriguez with a solo blast to center to open the ninth. Rodriguez then loaded the bases before Dobbs singled to right-center to knock in two more runs. With runners on the corners Ramirez grounded out, but knocked in a run and moved Dobbs to second. After another groundout Dobbs moved to third before scoring on a Mike Cameron single.
The Marlins jumped ahead to an early 1-0 lead in the first. Infante tripled before scoring on a Dobbs ground out.
Marlins skipper Jack McKeon and Nationals manager Davey Johnson's combined age was the highest for two managers since 1950 (149 years and 57 days)...Bonifacio extended his hitting streak to a major league-best 24 games...Florida moves to 27-23 on the road in 2011...Johnson falls to 9-15 since taking over for Washington.
- FLORIDA: 11
Jul 26 10:16 PM
- Mike Cameron singled to short scored Greg Dobbs. On the play, Mike Stanton advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and John Buck due up.
Marlins 11, Nationals 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 26 10:02 PM
- Hanley Ramirez grounded out second to first scored Omar Infante. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 10, Nationals 2 Top 9, 1 OutJul 26 9:53 PM
- Greg Dobbs singled to center scored Wes Helms and Emilio Bonifacio. On the play, Omar Infante advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 9, Nationals 2 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 26 9:52 PM
- Wes Helms is pinch-hitting for Burke Badenhop.
Marlins 7, Nationals 2 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 26 9:42 PM
- Burke Badenhop starts the inning for the Marlins, batting 9th.
Marlins 6, Nationals 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 26 9:19 PM
- Michael Morse doubled to right center scored Ryan Zimmerman. Runner on second with one out and Jayson Werth due up.
Marlins 5, Nationals 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 26 8:55 PM
- Wilson Ramos fouled out to first. None on with one out and Ian Desmond due up.
Marlins 5, Nationals 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 26 8:33 PM
- Greg Dobbs one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 5, Nationals 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 26 8:24 PM
- Logan Morrison two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to right scored Hanley Ramirez. Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 4, Nationals 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 26 7:48 PM
- Greg Dobbs grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Emilio Bonifacio. Omar Infante out at second. None on with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 26 7:46 PM
- Greg Dobbs grounded out short to first scored Omar Infante. None on with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 1, Nationals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 26 7:09 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 26 7:06 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21