Werth leads Nationals past RockiesAug 8, 2011 - 1:09 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Jayson Werth singled in Danny Espinosa in the eighth to lead Washington past Colorado, 3-2, in the finale of a four-game set at Coors Field.
"I got a slider and was able to put it out there," said Werth about his at-bat in the eighth.
Jonny Gomes added a two-run homer for the Nationals, winners in six of nine.
Tyler Clippard (2-0) picked up the win for Washington. John Lannan started the game and gave up just one run on six hits over six-plus frames.
Carlos Gonzalez and Ty Wigginton each drove in a run for the Rockies, who have dropped six of their last eight games.
Matt Belisle (5-4) was pegged with the loss after giving up the go-ahead run in the eighth.
The Nationals took the deciding 3-2 lead in the eighth. Espinosa doubled to left then scored when Werth singled.
Washington took an early 2-0 lead in the second. Werth led off with a walk and scored when Gomes belted a 1-1 offering over the wall in left.
But the Rockies tied the game in the seventh. Jonathan Herrera drew a walk and Eric Young Jr. singled before both runners advanced on a Dexter Fowler sacrifice bunt. Gonzalez roped a grounder to first baseman Michael Morse, but Clippard forgot to cover the bag and Herrera scored. One hitter later, Wigginton singled to left, plating Young.
"We did not capitalize, we did not garner up enough execution to get done what we needed to get done to win this game," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Aaron Cook started for the Rockies, tossing 6 2/3 solid innings. He gave up two runs on four hits and struck out four.
Washington third baseman Ryan Zimmerman extended his hit streak to 16 games...Washington improved to 14-14 against the NL West...The Rockies fell to 28-31 at home this season.
- WASHINGTON: 3
Aug 7 6:09 PM
- Todd Coffey starts the inning for the Nationals, batting 9th.
Nationals 3, Rockies 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 7 5:43 PM
- Seth Smith is pinch-hitting for Chris Nelson.
Nationals 2, Rockies 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 7 5:23 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki struck out swinging. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ty Wigginton due up.
Nationals 2, Rockies 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 7 5:16 PM
- Jesus Flores grounded out second to first. None on with two outs and John Lannan due up.
Nationals 2, Rockies 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 7 3:34 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 3:10 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21