Yanks top Jays to take seriesMay 2, 2011 - 12:28 AM
Ivan Nova (2-2) got the win after limiting Toronto to two runs on six hits and four walks in 6 1/3 innings. He also struck out five for the Yankees, who have won four of five overall.
"He was absolutely amazing to only give up two runs against that offense," Granderson said of Nova. "He did everything we asked him, and more, and his confidence built as the game went on."
Jesse Litsch (2-2) allowed all five Yankees runs in six-plus innings and took the loss. Adam Lind homered for Toronto, which has gone 5-5 over its last three series.
Teixeira got the Yankees on the board in the first inning with his seventh homer of the year. Litsch threw a 2-2 breaking ball up in the zone and Teixeira hammered it to right-center field.
Lind slugged a fastball the opposite way to left field to open the second inning, and Jose Bautista's RBI groundout in the third put Toronto on top, 2-1.
But the Yankees went ahead for good in the fifth, which Jorge Posada began with a double.
Brett Gardner followed with a base hit to put runners on the corners, and Francisco Cervelli plated a run with a groundout to short. The catcher was playing in his first game of the season after being activated from the disabled list Friday. He had been out with a fractured foot.
After Derek Jeter reached on a fielder's choice that left Gardner safe at third, Granderson homered to right. He hit a low fastball in the zone for his eighth blast of the season.
"He's a good hitter. You're going to get got sometimes. It's just a matter of hoping it's not a big situation and that right there was a big situation," said Litsch.
Nova was taken out of the game after walking Rajai Davis in the seventh, then David Robertson and Boone Logan got New York out of the inning. Rafael Soriano pitched a scoreless eighth and Mariano Rivera threw a 1-2-3 ninth for his 10th save.
Bautista left the game with a strained neck...Lind and David Cooper both had two hits for Toronto...Posada's double was just his fourth non-home run hit of the season. He has 11 hits...Nova threw 100 pitches, 60 for strikes.
- TORONTO: 2
NEW YORK: 5
May 1 4:09 PM
- Curtis Granderson one-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Brett Gardner and Derek Jeter. Mark Teixeira due up.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 5 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 1 2:49 PM
- Francisco Cervelli grounded out short to first scored Jorge Posada. Runner on second with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 2 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 1 2:42 PM
- Juan Rivera grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second to end the inning.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 1 Mid 3May 1 2:02 PM
- Adam Lind lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Juan Rivera due up.
Blue Jays 1, Yankees 1 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 1 1:29 PM
- Mark Teixeira two-out, solo Home Run (7) to right center. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Blue Jays 0, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 1 1:23 PM
- TORONTO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 1 1:13 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21