Red Sox continue road mastery of YankeesJun 9, 2011 - 5:55 AM New York Yankees.
J.D. Drew homered and knocked in three runs for the Red Sox, who moved to 7-1 this season against their AL East rival. They also gained a one-game lead in the division by topping the Yankees for a sixth consecutive time and have won five straight overall.
"There's a lot of games left. We're just going to try to keep playing good ball and see what happens," said Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who is scheduled to have his knee examined on Thursday.
Knuckleball specialist Tim Wakefield (3-1) earned the win despite allowing five hits and as many runs over 5 1/3 innings. Alfredo Aceves went the rest of the way for his first save of 2011.
Burnett (6-4) was pounded for seven hits and seven earned runs over 5 2/3 innings.
Francisco Cervelli, replacing an injured Russell Martin (back), went 3-for-3 with two RBI. Derek Jeter moved within 11 hits of 3,000 with an RBI double in the fifth inning, but the Yankees are in danger of being swept in the three- game set.
The Yankees have lost their first five home games against the Red Sox in 2011, marking the first time they have gone winless in their first five home games vs. Boston since 1913, when they began the season 0-5-1 at home against the Red Sox in the Polo Grounds.
Mark Teixeira started at first base despite leaving Tuesday's game after being hit by a pitch on his right knee. Jorge Posada, who replaced Teixeira, was out of the lineup Wednesday. Posada was with his 11-year-old son, who was having surgery. Posada's son suffers from craniosynostosis, which occurs when an infant's sutures fuse too early and it affects the growth of the brain.
Alex Rodriguez homered leading off the bottom of the fourth and the Yankees tacked on three runs the next inning, getting within 7-4. Cervelli had an RBI single and Jeter then recorded hit No. 2,989 with a double over the head of Jacoby Ellsbury in center. Teixeira lifted a sacrifice fly later in the frame.
Boone Logan walked Adrian Gonzalez with the bases full the next inning, but Kevin Youkilis fanned to keep the margin at 8-4.
In the bottom of the sixth, the Yankees loaded the bases and got a one-out RBI single to left from Cervelli. Aceves then uncorked a high pitch that went to the backstop during Jeter's at-bat, but Brett Gardner didn't take off for home. Jeter then grounded into a 5-4-3 double play to kill the rally.
Carl Crawford homered to right with one out in the ninth, and after Marco Scutaro doubled, Drew hit a ball that caromed off the top of the wall and over in right-center for an 11-5 cushion.
Teixeira singled in a run in the bottom of the ninth.
It was rough from the start for Burnett and Cervelli. Ellsbury singled, stole second and went to third when Cervelli's throw sailed into the outfield. Ellsbury came in on a Gonzalez grounder, and following a walk to Youkilis, Ortiz homered to right.
"When you miss a little bit in this league you're going to get hit hard," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "That's the bottom line. Sometimes you're going to get away with it. But a lot of times when you face a lineup like this, you're going to get hit. That's what happened in the first inning."
Drew had a sac fly in the second and the Sox expanded their lead to 7-0 in the fourth, thanks in part to Ellsbury's run-scoring double.
The 44-year-old Wakefield, who has won three consecutive decisions, moved to 12-17 all-time against the Yankees...The Sox have taken nine of their last 10 vs. the Yankees...The Red Sox placed pitcher Bobby Jenks on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday due to tightness on the left side of his back. The Red Sox recalled Luis Exposito from Triple-A Pawtucket to fill the roster spot...The Yankees made a series of roster moves, including placing reliever Joba Chamberlain on the 15-day DL with a strained flexor muscle in his throwing arm. They also claimed pitcher Jeff Marquez off waivers from the Chicago White Sox. The team optioned pitcher Hector Noesi to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and added pitcher Amauri Sanit to the major league roster...Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia missed the game due to an illness...Jeter struck out in the third inning, snapping a career-high stretch of 58 consecutive plate appearances without a strikeout.
- BOSTON: 11
NEW YORK: 6
Jun 8 10:33 PM
- Mark Teixeira singled to right scoring Francisco Cervelli with two out. Runner on first and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Red Sox 11, Yankees 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 8 10:32 PM
- J.D. Drew two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right center scored Marco Scutaro. Jason Varitek due up.
Red Sox 11, Yankees 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 8 10:20 PM
- Derek Jeter grounded into a double play, third to second to first. On the play, Francisco Cervelli out at second to end the inning.
Red Sox 8, Yankees 5 End 6Jun 8 9:31 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez walked scoring Jason Varitek with two out. Bases loaded and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 8, Yankees 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 8 9:07 PM
- Mark Teixeira sacrifice fly to left scored Derek Jeter with two out. None on and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Red Sox 7, Yankees 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 8 8:49 PM
- Derek Jeter doubled to center scoring Francisco Cervelli with none out. Runner on second and Curtis Granderson due up.
Red Sox 7, Yankees 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 8 8:46 PM
- Francisco Cervelli singled to center scoring Eduardo Nunez with none out. Runner on first and Derek Jeter due up.
Red Sox 7, Yankees 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 8 8:45 PM
- Alex Rodriguez lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Robinson Cano due up.
Red Sox 7, Yankees 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 8 8:27 PM
- Dustin Pedroia reached first on an infield single to short scoring Jason Varitek with two out. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 7, Yankees 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 8 8:23 PM
- Jason Varitek grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring David Ortiz with two out. J.D. Drew out at second. Carl Crawford advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 5, Yankees 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 8 8:18 PM
- J.D. Drew sacrifice fly to center scored Marco Scutaro with one out. None on and Jason Varitek due up.
Red Sox 4, Yankees 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 8 7:34 PM
- David Ortiz two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to right center scored Kevin Youkilis. Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 3, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 8 7:21 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez grounded out second to first scoring Jacoby Ellsbury with two out. None on and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 8 7:15 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 7:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21