Red Sox come back to beat Yankees in 10, retake AL East leadAug 8, 2011 - 6:11 AM
With men on first and second and one out, Reddick laced Phil Hughes' offering down the left-field line to give the Red Sox a 3-2 win over the New York Yankees.
"Got a first-pitch curveball over the plate and didn't really miss it," Reddick said.
Marco Scutaro went 4-for-4 with an RBI and run scored for Boston, which sits a game ahead of the Yankees in the AL East standings.
Boston starter Josh Beckett gave up one run on six hits over six innings. Daniel Bard (2-5) tossed a perfect 10th to pick up the win.
Brett Gardner and Eduardo Nunez hit solo homers for the Yankees, who have lost 10 of 12 against Boston this season. With only six games left against the Red Sox this year, the Yankees have lost the season set against their rival for the first time since 2004.
Freddy Garcia allowed one run on five hits in a five-inning start for New York. Hughes (2-4) was scheduled to start Tuesday's game against the Angels.
Holding a 2-1 lead, Mariano Rivera was called upon in the ninth to close out the game for New York. Scutaro got the crowd going with a leadoff double off the Green Monster. Jacoby Ellsbury's sacrifice bunt moved Scutaro to third. Pedroia stepped to the plate and hit a fly ball to left to bring home the tying run. Adrian Gonzalez grounded out to send the game into extras.
"It wasn't the pitch that I wanted it to be," Rivera said about his pitch to Scutaro. "It was a little bit down, should've been a little bit up. I can't blame no one but myself. I didn't get it done. That's that."
With one out in the 10th, David Ortiz ripped a ground-rule double to right. Darnell McDonald came on as a pinch-runner for Ortiz. After Carl Crawford was intentionally walked, Reddick knocked in the game-winning run.
The Red Sox got on the board in the second. Kevin Youkilis walked, Ortiz singled to right and Crawford reached base on an infield single to load the bases with nobody out. Following two quick outs, Scutaro hit an RBI single to right. Garcia kept it a 1-0 game by getting Ellsbury to fly out.
New York stranded a runner on third in the fourth inning, but Nunez tied the game in the fifth with a solo shot over the Green Monster.
Boston failed to take advantage of a great scoring chance in the sixth. Boone Logan walked Ortiz and gave up a single to Crawford. After Reddick flied out, Cory Wade took over on the mound. Jason Varitek fouled out before Scutaro's infield single loaded the bases. Ellsbury flied out to end the threat.
The Yankees made the Red Sox pay in the seventh. Matt Albers retired the first two batters of the frame, but Gardner changed the game with one swing of the bat. Albers threw a 2-1 breaking ball to Gardner, who deposited the ball over the wall in right-center field for a 2-1 lead.
Albers then hit Derek Jeter with a pitch. Franklin Morales came in from the bullpen and walked two straight batters to load the bases. But Robinson Cano grounded out to end the inning.
The Red Sox had a chance to tie the game in the eighth off David Robertson. Crawford hit a one-out single and advanced to second when Reddick went down swinging on a wild pitch. Another wild pitch put Crawford at third, but Varitek fouled out.
Beckett is 13-7 against New York in his career, including a 3-0 mark this season. He was trying to become the first Red Sox to win four games against the Yankees in a single season since Al Nipper won all four starts against them in 1987...Boston went 4-3 on a seven-game homestand...The Red Sox had homered in 12 straight games...Slumping designated hitter Jorge Posada was not in the lineup for New York. He is hitting only .230 with nine homers and 31 RBI this season...The Red Sox went 4-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded 12...Rivera suffered his fifth blown save of the year.
- NEW YORK: 2
Aug 8 12:30 AM
- Josh Reddick singled to left scored Pinch-runner Darnell McDonald with one out to end the game.
Yankees 2, Red Sox 3 Bot 10, 1 OutAug 8 12:28 AM
- Dustin Pedroia sacrifice fly to left scored Marco Scutaro. None on with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Yankees 2, Red Sox 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 8 12:06 AM
- Brett Gardner two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right center. Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 2, Red Sox 1 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 7 10:54 PM
- Eduardo Nunez two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. Brett Gardner due up.
Yankees 1, Red Sox 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 7 9:54 PM
- Marco Scutaro singled to right scored Kevin Youkilis. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to second and David Ortiz advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Yankees 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 7 8:55 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21