Bobby's world: Abreu hits two HRs to send Halos past YankeesAug 10, 2011 - 6:05 AM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - Bobby Abreu's second home run of the night was a tie-breaking, two-run shot off Mariano Rivera in the ninth inning, pushing the Angels over the Yankees, 6-4, in the opener of a three-game series.
Rivera (1-2), fresh off a blown save against Boston on Sunday, retired two straight in the ninth following a leadoff single, but his fifth consecutive cutter to Abreu was redirected into the right-field seats to break a 4-4 tie.
"You never expect as a hitter to hit a home run off of Mariano. First of all, it's tough to make good contact against him, and to hit a homer is nice. Believe me, it's something that is hard to believe," said Abreu.
New York put runners on the corners in its half against Jordan Walden, bringing the go-ahead run to the plate in Mark Teixeira. Curtis Granderson, trying to get into scoring position with two outs, fell for the classic fake- to-third, throw-to-first pickoff attempt, and was tagged out in a rundown to end the game.
Walden picked up his 26th save for closing out the win, Los Angeles' fifth in seven games. The Yankees have dropped three straight on the heels of an eight- game winning streak.
LA scored four runs in the sixth to jump in front. Abreu started the frame with a home run off A.J. Burnett, and three walks to the next five batters loaded the bases. Jeff Mathis' ground-rule double to center plated two more, and Peter Bourjos raced home on a wild pitch for a 4-1 cushion.
"I wouldn't change a lot that I did. I pretty much pitched with conviction all night and used my four-seamer pretty well," Burnett said about his performance.
Angels starter Dan Haren gave up a solo home run to Granderson in the first inning, but was otherwise cruising until Russell Martin hit a two-out double in the seventh.
Eduardo Nunez blooped a single to right to pull the Yankees within two, and Haren was pulled after allowing a base hit to Brett Gardner, who stole second after Fernando Rodney took over on the hill. Derek Jeter tied things with a line-drive hit to center.
Scott Downs (6-2) gave up a walk and a single in a scoreless eighth and was credited with the win.
Abreu now 16 career multi-home run games. He came into the game with four round-trippers this year...Angels manager Mike Scioscia was ejected by home plate umpire Chris Guccione in the sixth inning for arguing balls and strikes. Scioscia objected a called swinging strike on Mathis, who hit a two-run double on the next pitch...Burnett, who has not won since June 29, was pulled after six innings, having allowed four runs on seven hits...Haren also yielded four runs on six hits in his outing...Both starters struck out six...Torii Hunter had three of the Angels' 10 hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
NEW YORK: 4
Aug 9 10:44 PM
- Eduardo Nunez singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Brett Gardner due up.
Angels 6, Yankees 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 9 10:28 PM
- Derek Jeter single to center scored Eduardo Nunez and Brett Gardner with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Angels 4, Yankees 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 9 9:39 PM
- Eduardo Nunez single to right scored Russell Martin with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Brett Gardner due up.
Angels 4, Yankees 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 9 9:31 PM
- Curtis Granderson flied out to center. None on with one out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Angels 4, Yankees 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 9 9:07 PM
- Torii Hunter fouled out to right. None on with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 1 Top 6, 1 OutAug 9 8:50 PM
- Torii Hunter singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 0, Yankees 1 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 9 7:26 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 7:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21