Valencia, Span lead Twins in rout of Red SoxMay 7, 2011 - 6:48 AM
Trevor Plouffe homered among his two hits and scored three times for the Twins, who have won three in a row after dropping six straight.
Scott Baker (2-2) allowed seven hits and two runs with eight strikeouts over eight solid innings.
J.D. Drew and Adrian Gonzalez each hit solo homers for the Red Sox, losers of three straight games.
Tim Wakefield (0-1) lasted just 4 1/3 innings, charged with nine hits and eight runs -- six earned -- with four walks.
"I had a little trouble today," Wakefield said. "I just couldn't find the strike zone."
Ahead by two, Minnesota took control with a four-run fifth inning, chasing Wakefield from the game.
Plouffe walked, then Justin Morneau and Michael Cuddyer singled to load the bases. Valencia's double plated a pair, then the veteran knuckleballer was lifted in favor of Alfredo Aceves. Two batters later, Sox shortstop Jed Lowrie misplayed a Drew Butera grounder to score Cuddyer and Valencia for an 8-2 game.
Aceves balked in Plouffe with two down in the sixth. Meanwhile, Baker retired the side in order in the fifth and seventh frames. He induced a double-play grounder from Dustin Pedroia in a scoreless sixth, then fanned Pedroia with two runners in scoring position to end his outing.
Joe Nathan walked Kevin Youkilis with one out in the ninth but got the next two batters to end the game.
Plouffe's one-out blast in the first over the Green Monster put the Twins on the board, then with the bases loaded in the second, Span drove in two with a single then a Wakefield balk brought in another run.
"Our offense did an excellent job of getting some runs early," Baker said. "I was able to come right at guys and get some quick outs."
Sox manager Terry Francona was ejected for arguing the call by home-plate umpire Angel Hernandez but Boston was still down 4-0.
Drew's one-out homer to right in the home half put the Sox on the board, then Gonzalez cleared the Monster to start the fourth.
Boston has been outscored 25-5 during their losing streak...This was Baker's longest outing of the season, and lengthiest start since going eight full innings in a no-decision on August 4, 2010 at Tampa Bay...Wakefield made his 409th career start with the Red Sox, dating back to 1995...Prior to the contest, the Red Sox recalled Aceves from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- MINNESOTA: 9
May 6 9:50 PM
- Trevor Plouffe scored on a Alfredo Aceves balk with two out. None on and Jason Kubel at the plate.
Twins 9, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 6 8:54 PM
- Drew Butera reached first on Jed Lowrie's fielding error scoring Michael Cuddyer and Danny Valencia with two out. Runner on first and Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 8, Red Sox 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 6 8:38 PM
- Alfredo Aceves enters the game for the Red Sox with runners on second and third and one out.
Twins 6, Red Sox 2 Top 5, 1 OutMay 6 8:29 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Twins 4, Red Sox 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 6 8:14 PM
- J.D. Drew one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Jed Lowrie due up.
Twins 4, Red Sox 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 6 7:49 PM
- Ben Revere scored on a Tim Wakefield balk with two out. On the play, Denard Span advanced to second. Runner on second and Trevor Plouffe at the plate.
Twins 4, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 6 7:43 PM
- Denard Span single to right scored Michael Cuddyer and Danny Valencia with two out. On the play, Ben Revere advanced to third. Runners on first and third with Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 3, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 6 7:40 PM
- Trevor Plouffe one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 6 7:15 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 7:13 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21