Varitek, Ortiz hit 3-run HRs, Red Sox rout JaysJun 12, 2011 - 1:00 AM
Former Blue Jay Marco Scutaro added four hits and Dustin Pedroia smoked two doubles and collected three RBI for the Sox, who pushed their winning streak to a season-high eight games.
"We've got a pretty good lineup," Scutaro admitted. "We've got guys who have had success before, guys with power and speed. We're swinging the bat pretty good now."
John Lackey (4-5) threw six innings to get the win, giving up four runs on six hits while fanning eight and walking two.
"The guys swung the bats good, made it easy on me," Lackey said.
Edwin Encarnacion smacked a two-run home run and Adam Lind chipped in with two hits for the Blue Jays, whose losing streak reached three games.
Brandon Morrow (2-4) was roughed up in 4 1/3 innings, giving up nine runs on 10 hits to absorb the loss.
The game was so out of hand that the Blue Jays used utilityman Mike McCoy to pitch the ninth. McCoy, who started the game at second base, retired the side in order.
"When we end up with Mike McCoy in the ninth inning, I think it's fair to say it wasn't one of our better days on the mound," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said.
The Red Sox exploded for seven runs in the fifth, as Ortiz and Varitek both blasted three-run home runs for the Red Sox and J.D. Drew slapped a single to right to score Crawford and trigger the onslaught for Boston, which led 12-2 once the inning came to an end.
Boston opened the scoring in the third inning and cruised to the finish. Jacoby Ellsbury smacked a one-out single and Pedroia followed with a single of his own to set the Red Sox up with runners on the corners with one out. Adrian Gonzalez ripped a double down the right field line to score Ellsbury and give the Red Sox a 1-0 lead.
The inning continued as the Blue Jays elected to intentionally walk Oritz to load the bases with still only one out. Morrow gifted Boston a second run when he plunked Jed Lowrie with an 0-2 pitch, scoring Pedroia and extending Boston's lead to 2-0. Boston added another on a sacrifice fly by Crawford. The Red Sox added a fourth run in the inning on an RBI single by Scutaro.
Boston expanded its lead in the fourth. Varitek coaxed a free pass from Morrow and scored from first on an RBI double by Pedroia to push the lead to a comfortable 5-0.
Toronto clawed back in the fourth on a two-out, two-run double by Davis to cut Boston's lead to 5-2.
After their big fifth inning, the Red Sox added a run in the sixth on a single to center by Varitek, which scored Scutaro.
Toronto made it a 13-4 game on Encarnacion's sixth-inning two-run home run, his second of the year.
Boston added three more runs in the eighth to finish off the Blue Jays.
The Red Sox are 19-13 away from Fenway Park this season...Boston leads the season series against the Jays, winning five of eight contests against Toronto...Toronto's Jose Bautista has gone 13 consecutive games without a home run...Boston is 15-9 in day games, third best in the majors behind the Yankees and Phillies...Lind hit his sixth double of the season in the fourth inning...Boston is 15-8 against intra-division competition, while Toronto is 11-16 against AL East opposition...Scutaro's four-hit game was the seventh of his career.
- BOSTON: 16
Jun 11 4:45 PM
- Dustin Pedroia doubled to right scored J.D. Drew and Jason Varitek. Runner on second with one out and Drew Sutton due up.
Red Sox 16, Blue Jays 4 Top 8, 1 OutJun 11 4:08 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury grounded out first to pitcher scored Marco Scutaro. On the play, Jason Varitek advances to second and J.D. Drew advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 14, Blue Jays 4 Top 8, 1 OutJun 11 4:07 PM
- Jose Molina flied out to left. None on with one out and Rajai Davis due up.
Red Sox 13, Blue Jays 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 11 3:38 PM
- Jason Varitek singled to center scored Marco Scutaro. On the play, J.D. Drew advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 13, Blue Jays 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 11 3:30 PM
- David Ortiz two-out, three-run Home Run (16) to right scored Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez. Jed Lowrie due up.
Red Sox 12, Blue Jays 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 11 3:10 PM
- Jason Varitek one-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right center scored Marco Scutaro and J.D. Drew. Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 9, Blue Jays 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 11 2:56 PM
- J.D. Drew singled to right scored Carl Crawford. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jason Varitek due up.
Red Sox 6, Blue Jays 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 11 2:52 PM
- Rajai Davis doubled to left scored Adam Lind and Jose Molina. Runner on second with two outs and Jayson Nix due up.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 11 2:42 PM
- Dustin Pedroia doubled to right scored Jason Varitek. Runner on second with one out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 11 2:27 PM
- Marco Scutaro singled to center scored David Ortiz. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to third and Scutaro advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third with two outs and J.D. Drew due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 11 2:11 PM
- Carl Crawford sacrifice fly out to left scored Adrian Gonzalez. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Marco Scutaro due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 11 2:08 PM
- Jed Lowrie hit-by-pitch scored Dustin Pedroia on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 11 2:06 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 11 2:03 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 1:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21