Rockies blank DodgersApr 6, 2011 - 5:03 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Troy Tulowitzki smacked his first home run of the season while Chris Iannetta added another homer, as Colorado defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers, 3-0, to start of a brief two-game series.
Jhoulys Chacin (1-0) looked good in his first start of the season. The 23- year-old threw seven shutout innings, allowing just five hits, and struck out four for the Rockies.
"You throw Chacin out there and he looks that good against Kershaw," Tulowitzki said. "It's impressive."
Colorado finished 1-1 in a season-opening series with the Diamondbacks after the finale was postponed Sunday because of a rain/snow mixture.
Clayton Kershaw (1-1) gave up all three runs on six hits and struck out eight in six innings of work for the Dodgers, who took three of four from the Giants in their season-opening series.
"We didn't get up any runs after the seventh," Kershaw said. "If I did my job, we'd still be playing right now."
The Rockies put up a run in three consecutive innings and that's all they would need.
The first came during the fourth when Tulowitzki sent a four-seam fastball from Kershaw into the left-center field seats. In the fifth, Iannetta launched a home run into left field.
The final run came in the sixth inning, set up by Dexter Fowler's leadoff double. Fowler moved to third on Carlos Gonzalez's groundout and scored on Jose Lopez's line-drive single to center field after Tulowitzki was intentionally walked.
The Rockies continued to shut down the Dodgers the final three innings, retiring the last nine batters. Huston Street struck out one in the ninth to record his second save of the season.
Kershaw, who was 13-10 last season, fell to 5-4 lifetime against the Rockies...The Dodgers were 11-7 against the Rockies last season...Tony Gwynn Jr. had a double for LA, which left six batters on base and went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Apr 5 11:01 PM
- Jose Lopez single to center scored Dexter Fowler with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Todd Helton due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 5 10:20 PM
- Chris Iannetta two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Jhoulys Chacin due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 5 9:57 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left center. Jose Lopez due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 5 9:41 PM
- Rafael Furcal grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Apr 5 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22