Santana spins another gem, Trumbo homers in Angels' winAug 3, 2011 - 5:20 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo hit a three-run homer and Ervin Santana followed up his no-hitter with a complete game, as the LA Angels of Anaheim took down the Minnesota Twins, 5-1, in the opener of a three-game series.
Santana (7-8) tossed a no-hitter in last Wednesday's 3-1 win at Cleveland in which he struck out 10 batters, walked only one and yielded an unearned run. Santana's no-hitter was the eighth individual no-hitter in Angels' history.
The right-hander gave up one run on eight hits on Tuesday to record his third complete game of the season. He struck out seven and walked two. Santana is now 4-0 over his last seven starts, with the Halos going 6-1 in that span.
"I am working hard and getting results," Santana said. "I started the game throwing then I regrouped and started pitching. Every time I fell behind, I made adjustments. In the ninth, I was throwing gas."
The victory moved the Angels within one game of Texas for first place in the AL West.
Jim Thome drove in the lone run for the Twins, who have lost three in a row.
Brian Duensing (8-9) allowed five runs on eight hits over six innings to suffer the loss.
"Tough night offensively," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "We faced a pretty good pitcher. He made pitches when he had to."
Santana worked out of some jams early on to keep it a scoreless contest. Denard Span led off the game with a walk, stole second and moved to third on a groundout. But Michael Cuddyer struck out looking to end the threat.
Jason Kubel started the second frame with a single. After Thome grounded into a double play, Danny Valencia singled. Delmon Young popped out to strand another runner.
The Angels got on the board in the third. Peter Bourjos doubled to left and moved to third on Bobby Wilson's sacrifice bunt. Maicer Izturis walked to put men on the corners. Bobby Abreu's RBI fielder's choice made it 1-0.
Minnesota got the run back in the fourth. Cuddyer doubled, moved to third on a groundout and crossed the plate on Thome's groundout.
LA tallied three runs in the home fourth to take the lead again. Vernon Wells walked and Howie Kendrick doubled to start the inning. Trumbo cleared the bases with a blast over the wall in center for a 4-1 margin.
Torii Hunter's solo homer to center in the fifth made it a four-run game.
Minnesota put men on first and second with one out in the sixth, but Thome and Valencia struck out swinging.
Santana's bid for the 12th complete game of his career was in jeopardy after Thome led off the ninth with a single. The right-hander settled down and retired the next three batters to seal the victory.
Anaheim won a three-game set from Minnesota back in May at Target Field...Santana ended with 121 pitches. He is 3-3 lifetime against Minnesota..Major League Baseball on Tuesday handed out suspensions to Angels pitcher Jered Weaver and manager Mike Scioscia for actions stemming from Sunday's game against the Detroit Tigers. Scioscia served his suspension on Tuesday...LA started a six-game homestand on Tuesday...The Twins activated outfielder Span from the 15-day disabled list prior to Tuesday night's game. He went 0-for-3...The Twins went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight...Trumbo has 20 homers this season. The club record for rookies is 31, set by Tim Salmon in 1993.
- MINNESOTA: 1
LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 3 12:30 AM
- Vernon Wells ground-rule doubled to left. Runner on second with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Twins 1, Angels 5 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 2 11:28 PM
- Mark Trumbo none-out, three-run Home Run (20) to center scored Vernon Wells and Howie Kendrick. Erick Aybar due up.
Twins 1, Angels 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 2 11:06 PM
- Jim Thome ground out short to first scored Michael Cuddyer with two out. None on and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 1, Angels 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 2 10:57 PM
- Bobby Abreu reached first on a fielder's choice, second to short, that scored Peter Bourjos with two out. Maicer Izturis out at second. Runner on first and Torii Hunter due up.
Twins 0, Angels 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 2 10:52 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22