Twins rout AngelsSep 3, 2011 - 6:05 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jason Kubel went 3-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored as the Minnesota Twins pounded the LA Angels of Anaheim, 13-5, to open a three-game set.
Trevor Plouffe hit a solo home run and scored three times, while Danny Valencia, Luke Hughes and Drew Butera each drove in two for the Twins, who have won two straight.
Carl Pavano (7-11) got the win as he gave up just four runs -- three earned -- on seven hits over 6 2/3 innings. It was his first win since July 7 as he was 0-5 over his previous nine starts.
"The guys put together some great at-bats," said Pavano. "The Angels are aggressive, but I was able to keep the ball down in the zone and keep them off-balance."
Erick Aybar hit two triples, drove in a run and scored once for the Angels, who fell to 4 1/2 games back of the Rangers for first place in the AL West.
Tyler Chatwood (6-10) dropped his fourth straight decision as he was touched for six runs and five hits with five walks in just 3 2/3 innings for the Angels, who have dropped four of six. He started the game in place of Jered Weaver, who had his start pushed back to Saturday so he could attend the funeral of his grandfather.
"We were behind in most of the counts and that is what happened to Tyler early," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "When you walk nine guys and give them scoring opportunities all night, it's going to be rough."
Plouffe hit a solo home run in the top of the first while Bobby Abreu countered with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the inning.
The Angels took the lead in the third on a Howie Kendrick single, but it was short-lived as the Twins plated five runs in the fourth.
Valencia singled to leadoff the inning and Rene Tosoni followed with an RBI double. Hughes then hit an RBI double and Kubel later worked a bases loaded walk. Michael Cuddyer hit an infield single off of Jerome Williams to score another run and Valenica forced in another run with a bases loaded walk for a 6-2 lead.
Kubel brought home a run in the sixth with an RBI single while Torii Hunter singled home Kendrick in the home portion of the frame.
Ben Revere scored a run with a single in the seventh and Aybar hit his second triple of the game in the seventh to score a run.
Tosoni and Hughes drew bases-loaded walks in the eighth while Butera hit a two-run single for a 12-4 lead.
Kubel scored on a Callaspo error in the ninth while Hank Cogner hit an RBI double in the bottom of the inning to account for the final score.
Aybar has a 12-game hitting streak...The Angels have won four of the seven games against Minnesota this season...Despite all the runs, the Twins still left 12 men on base...Chatwood was recalled from Triple-A Salt Lake on Friday.
- MINNESOTA: 13
LOS ANGELES: 5
Sep 3 1:35 AM
- Hank Conger double to left scored Mike Trout with two out. Runner on second and Andrew Romine due up.
Twins 13, Angels 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 3 1:30 AM
- Danny Valencia double to left scored Jason Kubel with one out. Runner on second and Rene Tosoni due up.
Twins 13, Angels 4 Top 9, 1 OutSep 3 1:17 AM
- Drew Butera single to left scored Rene Tosoni and Luke Hughes with one out. On the play, Tsuyoshi Nishioka advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 12, Angels 4 Top 8, 1 OutSep 3 12:59 AM
- Luke Hughes walk scored Michael Cuddyer with none out. Bases loaded and Tsuyoshi Nishioka due up.
Twins 10, Angels 4 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 3 12:50 AM
- Rene Tosoni walk scored Jason Kubel with none out. Bases loaded and Luke Hughes due up.
Twins 9, Angels 4 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 3 12:48 AM
- Erick Aybar triple to left center scored Peter Bourjos with two out. Runner on third and Howie Kendrick due up.
Twins 8, Angels 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 3 12:34 AM
- Ben Revere single to left scored Rene Tosoni with two out. On the play, Drew Butera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 8, Angels 3 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 3 12:24 AM
- Torii Hunter single to center scored Howie Kendrick with one out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Twins 7, Angels 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 3 12:09 AM
- Jason Kubel single to right scored Trevor Plouffe with one out. On the play, Jason Kubel advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 7, Angels 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 2 11:58 PM
- Danny Valencia walk scored Trevor Plouffe with two out. Bases loaded and Rene Tosoni due up.
Twins 6, Angels 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 2 11:28 PM
- Michael Cuddyer infield single to short scored Ben Revere with two out. On the play, Jason Kubel advances to second and Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Bases loaded and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 5, Angels 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 2 11:27 PM
- Jason Kubel walk scored Luke Hughes with two out. Bases loaded and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 4, Angels 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 2 11:23 PM
- Luke Hughes double to left scored Rene Tosoni with none out. Runner on second and Tsuyoshi Nishioka due up.
Twins 3, Angels 2 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 2 11:11 PM
- Rene Tosoni doubled to right. On the play, Danny Valencia scored onTorii Hunter's fielding error with none out. Runner on second and Luke Hughes due up.
Twins 2, Angels 2 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 2 11:10 PM
- Bobby Abreu singled to right. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Torii Hunter due up.
Twins 1, Angels 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 2 11:02 PM
- Bobby Abreu sacrifice fly to left scored Howie Kendrick with two out. None on and Torii Hunter due up.
Twins 1, Angels 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 2 10:27 PM
- Trevor Plouffe one-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 2 10:11 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22