Nolasco pitches Marlins past GiantsMay 25, 2011 - 7:40 AM
Nolasco (4-0) earned a decision for the first time in four starts, carrying a shutout through 8 1/3 innings before he was lifted with the bases loaded. He was charged with one run on seven hits and two walks while striking out five.
"I would have liked to finish it, but the important thing is we won," Nolasco said. "It's a big win."
Sanchez was 3-for-4 and Mike Stanton hit a solo homer for the Marlins, who have won three of their last four.
Matt Cain (3-3) suffered his first career loss against Florida after allowing four runs on six hits and three walks in six innings.
The Giants had their five-game winning streak snapped. The got two of their seven hits in the ninth inning and scored their only run on Miguel Tejada's sacrifice fly.
The Marlins had just one baserunner against Cain before they rallied for three runs in the third. Omar Infante led off with a single, while Hanley Ramirez and Logan Morrison drew two-out walks to load the bases.
Sanchez then drove a 2-2 pitch off the top of the wall in right-center field to score all three runs easily.
Stanton led off the fourth inning with his 11th homer of the season, knocking Cain's first pitch over Andres Torres' glove in centerfield to make it 4-0.
Chris Coughlan hit a leadoff double in the ninth and scored later on a wild pitch for Florida's fifth run.
Nolasco allowed a runner to reach third base in the first inning, but not again until the Giants loaded the bases in the ninth on Buster Posey's single, Cody Ross' double and a one-out walk to Pat Burrell.
Leo Nunez came in and allowed Tejada's sac fly, then got Emmanuel Burriss to fly out, ending the game and earning him his 18th save.
"Five runs is tough to make up. We gave it a go...but obviously came up short," Giants left fielder Cody Ross said.
The Giants were coming off a three-game interleague sweep of the Bay Area- rival Athletics over the weekend...Entering the game, Cain was a perfect 3-0 with a 2.98 ERA in seven previous starts against the Marlins...The Marlins started a nine-game road trip.
- FLORIDA: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 1
May 25 12:59 AM
- Miguel Tejada sacrifice fly to center scored Buster Posey. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Marlins 5, Giants 1 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 25 12:58 AM
- Guillermo Mota wild pitch scored Chris Coghlan. Gaby Sanchez advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Greg Dobbs at the plate.
Marlins 5, Giants 0 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 25 12:40 AM
- Mike Stanton lead-off Home Run (11) to center. John Buck due up.
Marlins 4, Giants 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 24 11:09 PM
- Gaby Sanchez doubled to right center scored Chris Coghlan, Hanley Ramirez and Logan Morrison. Runner on second with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 3, Giants 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 24 10:59 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 24 10:17 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21