Stanton's homer lifts Marlins over RockiesApr 25, 2011 - 12:08 AM
Omar Infante hit a bases-loaded triple in the fifth for the Marlins, who have won five of six.
"This is big for us," Stanton said. "Everyone knows how good the Rockies are, and I think they're still kind of iffy about us. But this is big to show we can hang with these guys."
Matt Belisle (2-1) gave up Stanton's homer and took the loss, Colorado's fifth in eight games.
While Stanton's homer provided the difference, the story for much of the game was a pitching duel between the Marlins' Josh Johnson and the Rockies' Ubaldo Jimenez.
Both had a no-hitter through four innings, but Jimenez had already hit a batter and walked one by the time he got to the fifth.
He opened that inning with two more walks, to John Buck and Emilio Bonifacio, then made an errant pickoff throw to second to allow them to advance a base. Another walk, to Donnie Murphy, loaded the bases.
"When an opposing team gets six runs on three hits, obviously there was something to set the stage," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy.
Jimenez struck out Johnson and got Chris Coghlan to fly out to shallow left, giving himself an opportunity to escape the jam. However, Infante came up with the big hit.
Jimenez threw a fastball up and away, off the plate by an inch or two, but Infante put a strong swing on it and smoked it to the gap in right-center. Every baserunner scored to make it a 3-0 game.
In five full innings, Jimenez allowed just that one hit and struck out seven.
Johnson, meanwhile, carried his no-hitter into the sixth and recorded the first two outs of the inning. But Dexter Fowler spoiled it with a double to center, and scored when Jonathan Herrera ripped a double to the wall in right.
In seven innings, Johnson allowed the one run and three hits, walked three and fanned six.
The Rockies rallied to tie the game in the eighth while facing Clay Hensley. Pinch-hitter Ty Wigginton began the inning with a base hit and Fowler reached on a bunt before both advanced on a passed ball.
Hensley retired the next batter, but Carlos Gonzalez plated Wigginton with a sacrifice fly and Troy Tulowitzki got Fowler home with a double. Michael Dunn (1-0) came in to get the final out.
Belisle took over for Colorado with one out in the bottom half and allowed a single to Infante. A two-out walk to Gaby Sanchez put two on for Stanton, who put the Marlins back ahead with one swing.
Belisle's pitch hung in the zone and Stanton clobbered it deep over the left field wall.
Leo Nunez worked a 1-2-3 ninth to record his sixth save.
Stanton's homer was his second of the season...Clay Mortensen threw two scoreless relief innings for the Rockies...Jimenez threw 96 pitches.
- COLORADO: 3
Apr 24 4:05 PM
- Mike Stanton two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Omar Infante and Gaby Sanchez. John Buck due up.
Rockies 3, Marlins 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 24 3:59 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to left scored Dexter Fowler with two out. Runner on second and Jason Giambi due up.
Rockies 3, Marlins 3 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 24 3:34 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez sacrifice fly to left scored Ty Wigginton with two out. Runner on second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 2, Marlins 3 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 24 3:33 PM
- Jonathan Herrera double to right scored Dexter Fowler with two out. Runner on second and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 1, Marlins 3 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 24 2:45 PM
- Omar Infante triple to right center scored John Buck, Emilio Bonifacio and Donnie Murphy with two out. Runner on third and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Rockies 0, Marlins 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 24 2:34 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 1:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21