Sanchez gets a win as Marlins hold off RockiesAug 17, 2011 - 5:57 AM
Sanchez (7-6) was winless in 11 starts after starting the year on a 6-1 tear. On Tuesday, he got back into the win column with a solid eight-inning showing.
The right-hander gave up five hits and three runs -- on homers by Troy Tulowitzki, Seth Smith and Carlos Gonzalez -- while striking out seven and walking two.
"I had a lot of command with my fastball," Sanchez said. "I'm feeling good right now. I'm excited for [win No.] seven.
Sanchez had to survive Leo Nunez's shaky ninth to celebrate his first win since June 10. Nunez, who blew a save chance in the opener of this three-game series on Monday, surrendered a two-run homer to pinch-hitter Jason Giambi to cut the Florida lead to one run.
Ty Wigginton followed Giambi's two-out blast with a single, but Nunez induced a game-ending pop out from Dexter Fowler to log his 33rd save of the season.
Bryan Petersen went 3-for-5 with two triples, a run scored and another driven in for Florida, which snapped a three-game losing streak. Mike Stanton added a solo homer for the victors.
The Marlins batted around in the first inning against Jhoulys Chacin and pushed across three runs on Greg Dobbs' RBI single and Mike Cameron's two-run base hit through the left side of the infield.
Emilio Bonifacio extended the lead in the fourth by knocking in Jose Lopez with a single and racing around to score on Petersen's triple to center.
Chacin (9-10) was pulled after the frame trailing 5-2 -- Tulowitzki and Smith went deep in the second -- and was charged with five runs on eight hits and three walks.
"He had a lack of command tonight," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said of his starter.
Stanton homered off Edgmer Escalona in the seventh to counter Gonzalez's blast in the fourth. The slugger's 28th home run of the season proved to be the difference.
Sanchez set a career-high with 160 strikeouts this season...Tulowitzki went 2- for-4 and has nine multi-hit games this month, raising his batting average from .289 to .305...Giambi, who hit a walk-off homer on Monday, has 427 career round-trippers, tying him with Mike Piazza for 42nd on the all-time list.
- FLORIDA: 6
Aug 16 11:32 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jason Giambi two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Todd Helton. Ty Wigginton due up.
Marlins 6, Rockies 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 16 11:30 PM
- Greg Dobbs popped out to short. None on with one out and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 6, Rockies 3 Top 7, 1 OutAug 16 10:44 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (19) to right. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Marlins 5, Rockies 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 16 9:58 PM
- Bryan Petersen triple to center scored Emilio Bonifacio with one out. Runner on third and Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 5, Rockies 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 16 9:48 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio single to left scored Jose Lopez with one out. On the play, Emilio Bonifacio advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second and Bryan Petersen due up.
Marlins 4, Rockies 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 16 9:47 PM
- Seth Smith one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left center. Chris Nelson due up.
Marlins 3, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 16 9:21 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lead-off Home Run (25) to center. Todd Helton due up.
Marlins 3, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 16 9:17 PM
- Mike Cameron single to left scored Mike Stanton and Greg Dobbs with two out. Runner on first and John Buck due up.
Marlins 3, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 16 8:53 PM
- Greg Dobbs single to center scored Bryan Petersen with one out. On the play, Greg Dobbs advanced to second on Dexter Fowler's fielding error and Mike Stanton advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 16 8:51 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 16 8:40 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21