Gallardo helps Brewers blank GiantsMay 29, 2011 - 9:37 PM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Yovani Gallardo tossed eight scoreless innings and Ryan Braun posted three hits and scored twice in the Milwaukee Brewers' 6-0 win over the San Francisco Giants in the rubber match of a three- game series.
Gallardo (7-2) gave up just four hits and walked one with five strikeouts for the Brewers, who have won nine of their last 11. That includes an 8-1 record to finish a nine-game homestand.
"I think for me to turn it around was my rhythm," Gallardo said. "For a while I was either too quick or too slow. I finally found that comfort zone. That's the key thing when you want to get into the rhythm."
Rickie Weeks drove in a pair of runs and had three hits for the victors.
Freddy Sanchez got his 1,000 career hit in the first inning with a grounder up the middle. He has hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games and finished with two hits for the Giants, who have lost five of their last six games.
San Francisco starter Matt Cain (3-4) suffered the loss, allowing five runs on 11 hits with six strikeouts.
"Matt wasn't real sharp today," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of his starter. "You always want to play well against teams you might see down the road. We came in here playing a really hot team. We're banged up but we're not making excuses."
The Brewers started their half of the first with three straight singles as Braun's infield grounder sent Weeks racing home. After Prince Fielder popped up, Casey McGehee's base knock through the left side plated Nyjer Morgan for an early 2-0 lead.
"We scored two runs in the first inning," Weeks said. "It's always good to get an early lead like that. Since spring training we've had the confidence. We try to preach to be aggressive."
Braun had a two-out single in the third, stole second and rounded third to score on Fielder's liner to center field to extend the lead.
Weeks' double scored Yuniesky Betancourt and Gallardo in the sixth to make it a 5-0 game.
Braun continued his hot day with a leadoff double in the seventh and reached home on a fielding error during Fielder's sharp grounder to third baseman Emmanuel Burriss.
Giants catcher Buster Posey had successful surgery on Sunday to repair damage to three ligaments in his left ankle, which was injured in a home plate collision Wednesday...Gallardo is undefeated at home (5-0) this season...The Brewers improved to 21-7 at home this season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
May 29 4:35 PM
- Prince Fielder reached first on Emmanuel Burriss's error scored Ryan Braun. Runner on first with none out and Casey McGehee due up.
Giants 0, Brewers 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 29 4:01 PM
- Freddy Sanchez strikes out swing, catcher to first. One out and none on with Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 0, Brewers 5 Top 7, 1 OutMay 29 3:52 PM
- Prince Fielder singled to center scored Ryan Braun. Runner on first with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Giants 0, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 29 3:02 PM
- Casey McGehee singled to left scored Nyjer Morgan. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Mark Kotsay due up.
Giants 0, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 29 2:29 PM
- Prince Fielder popped out to third. Runners on first and second and with one out and Casey McGehee due up.
Giants 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 29 2:26 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 2:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21