Five-run fourth helps Cubs top BrewersApr 9, 2011 - 4:10 AM
Jeff Baker added a three-run shot to cap the frame, while starter Carlos Zambrano (1-0) went six innings, allowing four runs on seven hits while striking out five.
"It was a battle for me," Zambrano said. "They have a tough lineup, I am just glad I made it through six, but the most important thing is winning and hopefully we can get another win tomorrow and win the series."
Baker added an RBI single in the sixth to cap his 4-for-5, four-RBI effort. Marlon Byrd roped an RBI double in the ninth to highlight his 2-for-5 showing for the Cubs, who have now won three of four.
"It's just about getting good pitches to hit and not trying to do too much," Baker said. "I just try to play hard whenever my name is called. This was a big game for us to start the road trip."
Prince Fielder finished with a solo homer in the second, and George Kottaras knocked in two. Brewers starter Randy Wolf (0-2) continues to struggle, charged on Friday with six runs -- two earned -- on nine hits in six innings of work.
"He just got too much of the plate," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Wolf. "He threw some good changeups and breaking balls that were good."
Fielder led off the second inning with his first homer of the season, sending the ball over the left-center field wall. The shot was Fielder's 100th at Miller Park.
Casey McGehee then worked a walk, and after he moved to second on an Yuniesky Betancourt single, advanced to third on Nyjer Morgan's sacrifice bunt. The Brewers then took a 2-0 lead when Kottaras grounded out to second.
Soto evened the game with a two-run homer to center in the top of the fourth and Baker put the Cubs ahead 5-2 with his three-run shot just five batters later.
Betancourt and Morgan both hit one-out singles in the bottom of the fourth to put batters on first and third and Kottaras scored Betancourt on a sacrifice fly to left.
McGehee added an RBI single in the fifth to make it a 5-4 game, but Baker's RBI single in the top of the sixth put the Cubs up 6-4.
Byrd made it 7-4 in the ninth and Carlos Marmol closed the door in the bottom of the inning to record his third save of the season.
Wolf was tagged for 10 hits and six runs over just four innings in his first start of 2011, a 12-3 loss in Cincinnati on Sunday...Chicago was 9-6 against the Brewers last season.
- CHICAGO: 7
Apr 8 11:07 PM
- Marlon Byrd double to left center scored Jeff Baker with one out. Runner on second and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 7, Brewers 4 Top 9, 1 OutApr 8 10:49 PM
- Jeff Baker single to left scored Alfonso Soriano with two out. Runner on first and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 6, Brewers 4 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 8 10:03 PM
- Casey McGehee single to right scored Rickie Weeks with two outs. Runners on first and second and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Cubs 5, Brewers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 8 9:54 PM
- George Kottaras sacrifice fly out to left scored Yuniesky Betancourt. Runner on first with two outs and Randy Wolf due up.
Cubs 5, Brewers 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 8 9:31 PM
- Jeff Baker two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Zambrano. Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 5, Brewers 2 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 8 9:21 PM
- Geovany Soto none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Aramis Ramirez. Carlos Pena due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 2 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 8 9:09 PM
- Randy Wolf struck out looking to end the inning.
Cubs 0, Brewers 2 End 2Apr 8 8:46 PM
- Prince Fielder lead-off Home Run (1) to left center. Casey McGehee due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 8 8:36 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 8 8:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21