Cubs hit three HRs, blast BrewersJun 17, 2011 - 12:55 AM
Alfonso Soriano hit a two-run homer while Carlos Pena added a solo shot for the Cubs, who took three of four in the series. Matt Garza (3-6) benefited from the runs to snap a two-start losing streak as he gave up five runs on six hits with three walks and as many strikeouts over six innings.
Ryan Braun and George Kottaras each hit a two-run home run for the Brewers, who came into the series having swept the Cardinals at home.
Zack Greinke (6-2) was tagged with the loss as he gave up eight runs -- six earned -- on eight hits with two walks and 10 strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings. He had won his past four starts and hadn't dropped a game since his season debut on May 4 against Atlanta.
Neither team wasted any time getting on the board as Braun hit a two-run homer in the first inning, his 15th of the season, while Starlin Castro hit an RBI double and later scored on a passed ball to tie the game in the bottom of the first.
Kottaras hit his two-run shot in the second and Chicago went ahead with three runs in the bottom of the frame.
With men on the corners and two outs, a Greinke wild pitch scored Soriano. Fukudome then hit a triple that scored Geovany Soto and he later scored on a Rickie Weeks error off a Blake DeWitt grounder.
The third inning saw the Brewers tie things back up as a Casey McGehee double scored Braun, but Pena led off the bottom of the frame with his 10th home of the year for a 6-5 lead.
"I settled down after the third inning," Garza said. "It was a little crazy, a little nuts those first three innings."
The sixth inning saw the Cubs give themselves some breathing space. With one out and two on, Daniel Ray Herrera took the mound and promptly served up a home run ball to Fukudome to make it a 9-5 game.
Soriano's two-run blast in the seventh, his 13th on the season, made it a six- run game while Aramis Ramirez added an RBI double in the eighth for the Cubs.
Jonathan Lucroy hit a two-run single in the ninth to account for the final score.
"It was tough for me to watch that game today," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke admitted. "I didn't like the way we were pitching, we didn't field well."
Interleague play begins for both teams on Friday as the Cubs welcome the Yankees to Wrigley Field while the Brewers head to Boston for three games...Chicago has taken four of seven from the Brewers this season.
- MILWAUKEE: 7
Jun 16 5:19 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to center scored Yuniesky Betancourt and Carlos Gomez with one out. Runner on first and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 7, Cubs 12 Top 9, 1 OutJun 16 5:18 PM
- Aramis Ramirez double to left scored Lou Montanez with two out. Runner on second and Carlos Pena due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 12 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 16 5:07 PM
- Geovany Soto grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Tony Campana due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 11 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 16 4:46 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome one-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right scored Geovany Soto and Tony Campana. Starlin Castro due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 9 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 16 4:28 PM
- Carlos Pena lead-off Home Run (10) to right. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 6 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 16 3:30 PM
- Casey McGehee double to center scored Ryan Braun with two out. Runner on second and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 5 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 16 3:22 PM
- Ryan Braun grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Nyjer Morgan out at second. Runner on first with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 4, Cubs 5 Top 3, 1 OutJun 16 3:18 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome triple to right scored Geovany Soto with two out. Runner on third and Starlin Castro due up.
Brewers 4, Cubs 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 16 3:09 PM
- With Kosuke Fukudome batting, Alfonso Soriano scores on a Zack Greinke wild pitch with two out. Geovany Soto advances to second. Runner on second and Kosuke Fukudome at the plate.
Brewers 4, Cubs 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 16 3:07 PM
- George Kottaras one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Corey Hart. Zack Greinke due up.
Brewers 4, Cubs 2 Top 2, 1 OutJun 16 2:49 PM
- Carlos Pena struck out looking to end the inning.
Brewers 2, Cubs 2 End 1Jun 16 2:42 PM
- Starlin Castro double to left scored Kosuke Fukudome with none out. Runner on second and Blake DeWitt due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 16 2:35 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored Nyjer Morgan. Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 16 2:29 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 2:24 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21