Overbay, Pirates down D-BacksJun 8, 2011 - 6:30 AM
Chris Snyder drove in two runs, while Jose Tabata and Ronny Cedeno knocked in a run each for the Pirates, who took two of three from Philadelphia over the weekend.
Chris Resop (2-1) recorded the final out of the eighth to pick up the win and Joel Hanrahan turned in a scoreless ninth for his 15th save.
Kelly Johnson hit a solo homer and drove in three runs, Juan Miranda added a solo shot among his four hits and Chris Young also went deep for the D-Backs, who have dropped two in a row and three of five.
Arizona went down to defeat without the services of manager Kirk Gibson, suspended Tuesday for his role in throwing incidents during Sunday's game against Washington.
David Hernandez (2-2) picked up the loss and a blown save, charged with four hits and five runs without retiring a batter.
"My gameplan since little league is throw it over the plate," Hernandez said. "If they hit it, they hit it. That's why we play 162 of these games."
After seven strong innings from Arizona starter Daniel Hudson where he gave up three hits and three runs and fanned seven, it all came apart with Hernandez on the hill and the D-Backs up 5-3.
Garrett Jones led off with a pinch-hit double and Tabata followed with a double of his own to make it a one-run game. Josh Harrison then singled to score Tabata with the tying run, before a sacrifice and walk loaded the bases. Overbay emptied the sacks with a double to right-center and the Pirates led 8-5.
"We had some great at-bats leading up to my hit," Overbay said.
Esmerling Vasquez managed to limit the damage by retiring the next three batters.
Hanrahan closed out the comeback victory by setting down Arizona in order thanks to a pair of strikeouts and a pop out.
Johnson cleared the wall in right with one down in the first, then the Bucs responded with two in the second on a Snyder sacrifice fly and a Cedeno RBI single.
Snyder added another sac fly in the fourth for a 3-1 Pittsburgh edge, but Arizona struck back with three in the fifth on Miranda's leadoff homer and a two-run base hit from Johnson with two men in scoring position.
That burst spelled the end for Pirates starter Kevin Correia, charged with eight hits and four runs over five full frames.
Young put the D-Backs up 5-3 with a leadoff homer in the top of the eighth.
Pittsburgh has won five of its last seven meetings with Arizona...Major League Baseball issued a three-game ban for Vasquez, who appealed the decision, and all parties were also fined an undisclosed amount...Also before the contest, the Pirates recalled pitcher Tony Watson from Triple-A Indianapolis and designated pitcher Jose Ascanio for assignment.
- ARIZONA: 5
Jun 7 9:51 PM
- Lyle Overbay doubled to right-center scoring Josh Harrison, Xavier Paul and Andrew McCutchen. Runner on second with none out and Chris Snyder due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Pirates 8 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 7 9:37 PM
- Josh Harrison singled to center scoring Jose Tabata. Runner on first with none out and Xavier Paul due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Pirates 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 7 9:31 PM
- Jose Tabata doubled to right scoring Garrett Jones. Runner on second with none out and Josh Harrison due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Pirates 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 7 9:29 PM
- Chris Young lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Miguel Montero is due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Pirates 3 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 7 9:11 PM
- Kelly Johnson singled to center scoring Daniel Hudson and Ryan Roberts. Runner on first with one out and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Pirates 3 Top 5, 1 OutJun 7 8:22 PM
- Juan Miranda lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Gerardo Parra is due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 3 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 7 8:13 PM
- Chris Snyder sacrifice fly to left scored Andrew McCutchen. None on with two outs and Brandon Wood due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Pirates 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 7 8:07 PM
- Ronny Cedeno singled to center scoring Lyle Overbay. Runner on first with two outs and Kevin Correia due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Pirates 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 7 7:35 PM
- Chris Snyder's sacrifice fly to center scored Andrew McCutchen. Runner on second with one out and Brandon Wood due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 7 7:32 PM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (12) to right. Justin Upton is due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 7 7:07 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 7 7:05 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21