Pirates blank BrewersAug 24, 2011 - 10:21 PM
Thompson made his MLB debut and over 4 1/3 innings he gave up four hits and two walks with a strikeout. Jason Grilli (1-0) pitched 2 2/3 perfect innings to get the win while Jose Veras and Joel Hanrahan each worked an inning with Hanrahan getting his 32nd save of the season.
"I just made sure I threw strikes out there today," said Thompson. "I wanted to give the guys behind me to make a play and that's the name of the game."
Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker each had a sacrifice fly for the Pirates, who had dropped five of seven coming into the game.
Shaun Marcum (11-4) lost for the first time in almost two months as went six innings and gave up two runs on four hits with three walks and four strikeouts for the Brewers, who swept a three-game series over the Mets coming into the Pittsburgh series. Ryan Braun had two of the five hits.
"For the most part I thought I made good pitches when I had to," said Marcum. "But they took advantage of the chances when they got them and two runs was enough today."
The Pirates grabbed the lead in the first inning when Jose Tabata led off with a double, moved to third on a sac bunt from Josh Harrison and scored on a McCutchen sac fly.
Braun made it to second on a one-out single and stolen base in the Milwaukee fourth. However, he stayed there as Prince Fielder struck out and, after Casey McGehee walked, Yuniesky Betancourt grounded out to end the frame.
The bottom of the fourth saw Pittsburgh add another run as Harrison led off with a double, went to third on a wild pitch and later scored off a sacrifice fly from Walker for a 2-0 lead.
Milwaukee threatened in the fifth with men on second and third with one out. Grilli, though, took over and struck out Corey Hart before getting Jerry Hairston Jr. to ground out and end the inning.
Hanrahan flirted with disaster in the ninth as Braun singled and Fielder walked to start the frame. However, he then struck out the next three batters, getting Jonathan Lucroy to look at strike three to end the game.
Despite the loss, Milwaukee has still won 10 of the 12 games against Pittsburgh this season...Marcum's last loss came on June 29 against the Yankees. He went 4-0 in his previous nine starts...Pittsburgh plays four games in St. Louis starting on Thursday...Milwaukee hosts Chicago for three games beginning on Friday.
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Aug 24 3:29 PM
- Neil Walker sacrifice fly to left scored Josh Harrison with one out. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to second. Runner on second and Garrett Jones due up.
Brewers 0, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 24 1:48 PM
- Andrew McCutchen sacrifice fly to left scored Jose Tabata with two out. None on and Neil Walker due up.
Brewers 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 24 12:52 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 12:38 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21