Orlando Cabrera's HR in ninth sends Indians over DiamondbacksJun 28, 2011 - 5:52 AM
The deciding homer came after the Diamondbacks tied the game in the eighth but failed three times to knock in Kelly Johnson from third base.
Asdrubal Cabrera added a two-run shot for the Indians, who scored more runs Monday than they did in three losses to the Giants over the weekend (four).
Lonnie Chisenhall, a first-round pick by the Indians in the 2008 draft, went 2-for-4 with an RBI in his debut.
"It was kind of a blur," Chisenhall said of his first appearance in the big leagues. "It was nice to go out and get a win."
Johnson and Stephen Drew each posted an RBI triple in Arizona's third straight loss.
Vinnie Pestano, the Indians' third arm out of the bullpen, couldn't hold a 4-3 lead in the eighth. Wily Mo Pena started the inning with a pinch-hit single, and Johnson followed by one-hopping the wall in right-center. The ball nearly bounced over the fence for a ground-rule double but stayed in the park, allowing Pena to score from first.
The heart of Arizona's lineup came up empty with Johnson 90 feet away. Drew flied out to short left, Chris Young struck out following an intentional walk to Justin Upton and Miguel Montero went down swinging against Rafael Perez (3-1).
Putz (1-2) got two flyouts before serving up the game-winner to Orlando Cabrera, who entered the game in a double-switch in the seventh inning.
"It was a 1-0 breaking ball that I was trying to throw for a strike. It just hung over the middle," said Putz.
Chris Perez worked around a leadoff single in the bottom of the ninth to notch his 19th save of the season.
Asdrubal Cabrera's 13th home run of the year -- and first since June 6 -- staked Cleveland to a 2-0 lead in the first as he drove a first-pitch fastball over the wall in left-center. Cord Phelps singled prior to the blast.
Mitch Talbot squandered the lead five batters into the bottom half. Johnson walked leading off the frame and raced home when Drew's line drive got under the glove of a diving Grady Sizemore in center and rolled to the wall.
Drew ended up with a triple and scored on a single by Upton, who moved to third on Young's double and came in for a 3-2 lead on a Montero groundout.
Ian Kennedy retired 10 straight hitters before getting out of a no-out, runners-on-the corners situation in the fifth, but the Indians got two runs off Arizona's starter in the sixth.
Asdrubal Cabrera doubled leading off and Carlos Santana walked before the pair scored on one-out singles by Travis Buck and Chisenhall, respectively.
The teams met for the first time since the Indians recorded a three-game sweep at home from June 17-19, 2005...Arizona went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position...Talbot went five innings and was charged with three runs on three hits and two walks...Kennedy lasted eight frames for the third time in four starts. He yielded four runs on eight hits while fanning eight...Cleveland pitchers retired 16 straight batters from the final out of the second inning through the seventh frame.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Jun 28 12:25 AM
- Orlando Cabrera two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 5, Diamondbacks 4 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 28 12:11 AM
- Kelly Johnson triple to center scored Wily Mo Pena. Runner on third with none out and Stephen Drew due up.
Indians 4, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 27 11:48 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall single to right scored Carlos Santana. On the play, Travis Buck advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Lou Marson due up.
Indians 4, Diamondbacks 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 27 11:08 PM
- Travis Buck single to right scored Asdrubal Cabrera. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 3, Diamondbacks 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 27 11:08 PM
- Miguel Montero ground out short to first scored Justin Upton. Runner on second with one out and Ryan Roberts due up.
Indians 2, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 27 9:58 PM
- Justin Upton single to right scored Stephen Drew. Runner on first with none out and Chris Young due up.
Indians 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 27 9:54 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera one-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored Cord Phelps. Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 27 9:43 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 9:40 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21