Rockies rally in eighth to stun DiamondbacksSep 7, 2011 - 6:07 AM
Jordan Pacheco added two hits and two RBI in his first major league game, while Seth Smith went 3-for-4 with two triples and two runs scored for the Rockies, who had lost two in a row including Monday's series opener.
Matt Belisle (10-4) picked up the win by notching the final out of the eighth.
Gerardo Parra and Miguel Montero each knocked in a run for the NL West-leading D-Backs, who saw their three-game win streak snapped and lost for just the second time in their last 14 games.
"It's nice to get a win, especially a come-from-behind one," Tulowitzki said. "There are some new guys on the team. It's nice to get them off to a good start."
David Hernandez (3-3) was charged in defeat for five runs on five hits and recording only two outs.
Colorado forged ahead for good in the eighth against Hernandez. Pinch-hitter Kevin Kouzmanoff started the rally with a one-out single, but was erased on a Dexter Fowler fielder's choice. Mark Ellis followed with a base hit and Carlos Gonzalez plated Fowler on a single to bring the Rox within 3-2.
Both runners advanced on a passed ball, then Tulowitzki managed to muscle a ball over the wall in left-center to make it 5-3 for the home squad. Ty Wigginton singled, and after Hernandez was tossed from the game by home plate umpire Todd Tichenor, Wigginton scored on a triple from Smith against Joe Paterson. Wilin Rosario followed with a walk, ahead of Pacheco's RBI single.
"I usually don't show emotion, but when you lose a ball game, it adds a little," Hernandez said.
Sam Demel came on and plunked Kouzmanoff to load the bases, and Fowler drew a walk to force in a run to make it 8-3 before Ellis flied out to end the rally.
Rafael Betancourt set Arizona down in order in the ninth.
Aaron Hill singled with one down in the first, moved to third on a Justin Upton base hit and scored when Montero grounded to second.
Smith began the fifth with a triple and scored two batters later on a Pacheco groundout.
Paul Goldschmidt doubled to start the Arizona seventh, moved to third on a passed ball and scored on a one-out single from Parra.
It was 3-1 for the visitors in the top of the eighth after Hill doubled with one out against Huston Street and scored when Pacheco threw wild to first on a Montero infield hit against Matt Reynolds. Belisle came on to retire Goldschmidt on a fly to right.
Colorado starter Jason Hammel allowed six hits and two runs -- one earned -- with six strikeouts in seven innings, while his Arizona counterpart Josh Collmenter lasted 6 1/3 innings, scattering five hits and one run with four strikeouts...Despite the loss, Arizona still leads the season series, 12-5, winning five of eight in Denver...Prior to the game, the Rockies announced that infielder Jonathan Herrera will miss the remainder of the season due to a fracture of his right index finger. Herrera, who suffered the injury when he shut a door on his hand over the weekend, was put on the 60-day disabled list.
- ARIZONA: 3
Sep 6 11:32 PM
- Dexter Fowler walked scoring Wilin Rosario with two out. Bases loaded with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 6 11:18 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to center scored Seth Smith with two out. On the play, Wilin Rosario advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kevin Kouzmanoff due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 6 11:11 PM
- NOTE: Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher David Hernandez was ejected from the game by home plate umpire Todd Tichenor.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 6 11:09 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki two-out, three-run Home Run (30) to left scored Mark Ellis and Carlos Gonzalez. Ty Wigginton due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 6 11:03 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to center scored Dexter Fowler with two out. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 6 11:00 PM
- Miguel Montero infield single to third. On the play, Aaron Hill scored on Jordan Pacheco's throwing error with two out. Miguel Montero to second. Runner on second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 6 10:50 PM
- Gerardo Parra single to left scored Paul Goldschmidt with one out. Runner on first and John McDonald due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 1 Top 7, 1 OutSep 6 10:12 PM
- Jordan Pacheco grounded out third to first scoring Seth Smith with two out. None on and Jason Hammel due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 6 9:51 PM
- Miguel Montero grounded out second to pitcher scoring Aaron Hill with two out. On the play, Justin Upton advances to second. Runner on second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 6 8:49 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 6 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21