Padres edge Arizona, avoid sweepSep 12, 2011 - 12:51 AM
Jesus Guzman added two hits and two RBI for San Diego, which scored eight total runs in the first three games of the set. Wade LeBlanc (3-5) gave up four runs in 5 2/3 innings to get the win.
Chris Young and Collin Cowgill had two-run hits during the sixth inning for Arizona, whose division lead over San Francisco was trimmed to 8 1/2 games. The Giants beat the Dodgers on Sunday, and the Diamondbacks' magic number is still eight.
Josh Collmenter (9-9) took the loss after allowing six runs in four-plus innings.
Hundley doubled and scored on James Darnell's base hit in the second inning, and the Padres tacked on three runs in the third.
LeBlanc led off with a single and moved to third on a ground-rule double by Cameron Maybin. LeBlanc was tagged out at home trying to score on a ball hit to short by Chris Denorfia, but Guzman followed with an RBI single.
The runners advanced to scoring position on the throw, and a walk to Hundley loaded the bases. Collmenter walked in a run before Darnell hit a sacrifice fly.
Collmenter walked Guzman to open the fifth before Hundley's two-run blast to left chased the Arizona starter. Guzman's RBI single off Zach Duke in the sixth increased the San Diego lead to 7-0, and at that point it was a matter of holding on.
Henry Blanco began a five-run rally in the bottom half with a leadoff homer to left.
The Diamondbacks had two on with two away later in the inning, and LeBlanc prolonged the inning with a walk to Paul Goldschmidt. He was replaced by Erik Hamren, but Hamren couldn't avoid giving up damage.
Chris Young smacked a two-run double and Cowgill followed with a two-run single, bringing Arizona within 7-5.
The Diamondbacks were within a run in the seventh, when pinch-hitter Justin Upton's grounder plated Blanco.
But San Diego held on. Luke Gregerson came in to get the final out of the inning, then pitched a scoreless eighth. Heath Bell worked around a leadoff walk to Willie Bloomquist in the ninth to record his 37th save.
San Diego improved to 1-3 on its road trip, which ends with a three-game set in San Francisco starting Monday...Arizona starts a six-game trip in LA on Monday. After three games there, the D-Backs head to San Diego...Arizona still leads the season series, 10-5...Collmenter suffered his first loss since August 21, when he allowed a run in seven innings to Atlanta. He hadn't given up six runs since August 5, when he lasted 2 1/3 innings against the Dodgers...LeBlanc snapped a three-start losing streak.
- SAN DIEGO: 7
Sep 11 7:32 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Justin Upton ground into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Henry Blanco. Ryan Roberts out at second. Runner on first with two out and Aaron Hill due up.
Padres 7, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 11 6:44 PM
- Collin Cowgill single to center scored Paul Goldschmidt and Chris Young. Runner on first with two out and John McDonald due up.
Padres 7, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 11 6:18 PM
- Chris Young double to left scored Zach Duke and Gerardo Parra. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to third. Runners on second and third with two out and Collin Cowgill due up.
Padres 7, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 11 6:16 PM
- Henry Blanco lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Zach Duke due up.
Padres 7, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 11 6:03 PM
- Nick Hundley grounded into a fielder's choice to second. On the play, Jesus Guzman out at second to end the inning.
Padres 7, Diamondbacks 0 Mid 6Sep 11 6:00 PM
- Nick Hundley none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Jesus Guzman. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Padres 6, Diamondbacks 0 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 11 5:32 PM
- Orlando Hudson popped out to short to end the inning.
Padres 4, Diamondbacks 0 Mid 3Sep 11 5:06 PM
- Nick Hundley walked. Bases loaded with one out and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Padres 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 11 4:59 PM
- James Darnell single to right scored Nick Hundley. Runner on first with one out and Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 11 4:34 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 4:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21