Spilborghs, Rockies thrash BrewersJul 15, 2011 - 6:26 AM
Mark Ellis had three RBI and Cole Garner notched a pair of runs batted in for Colorado, which won for the third time in four games. Ty Wigginton had three hits and scored three times.
Ubaldo Jimenez (5-8) pitched six solid innings, giving up six hits and a pair of runs. It was the second home win (2-5) of the season for the right-hander.
It was another dud for Yovani Gallardo (10-6) at Coors Field as Milwaukee opened an 11-game West Coast trip with its seventh loss in eight road games. Gallardo was pounded for 11 hits and six runs over four innings. He's 0-2 with a 10.07 ERA in four lifetime games in Denver.
"I just wasn't able to put away guys when I really needed," Gallardo said.
All-Star Game MVP Prince Fielder doubled in a run in the first inning and Corey Hart homered in the ninth in defeat.
Ryan Braun went 2-for-4 to extend his career-best hitting streak to 23 games, which is now third-best on the franchise list behind Paul Molitor (39 in 1987) and Dave May (24 in 1973).
Spilborghs tied the game with a homer high off the pole down the left field line and the teams exchanged runs in the second from the pitchers -- on a Gallardo RBI double and a Jimenez single.
Colorado went ahead with a four-run fourth. Ian Stewart, who had three hits, double and scored on a Chris Iannetta base hit to right. One out later, Spilborghs singled up the middle for a 4-2 lead. He stole second and came in on an Ellis base hit before Troy Tulowitzki roped a two-out RBI double to center.
"Our patience with Gallardo tonight is definitely noteworthy," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "We took some very tough at-bats, got some really good counts."
Ellis doubled in a run in the sixth and the Rockies padded their lead in the seventh. Fielder dropped a foul pop off the bat of pinch-hitter Cole Garner, who ended up walking to force in a run.
Kameron Loe entered from the bullpen in relief of Zach Braddock, but Spilborghs drilled a two-run double to left and Ellis followed with an RBI groundout.
Garner singled in a run in the eighth before Hart's 11th homer of the year concluded the scoring in the opener of this four-game set.
Second base umpire Brian O'Nora left after the top of the first inning due to back spasms. The umpiring crew was reduced to three, but Cory Blaser took over at second base in the fourth inning...Braun missed the last eight games before the All-Star break with a left calf strain...The Brewers dropped into second place in the NL Central, a half-game behind St. Louis...Milwaukee swept a three-game series at home from the Rockies, May 20-22.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
Jul 15 12:03 AM
- Corey Hart lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 3, Rockies 12 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 15 12:00 AM
- Cole Garner single to short scored Ty Wigginton with one out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advanced to second and Ian Stewart advanced to third. Bases loaded and Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 12 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 14 11:54 PM
- Todd Helton reached first on a fielder's choice, third to catcher to third to pitcher. On the play, Ryan Spilborghs out at home and Todd Helton advnaced to second during the rundown. Runner on second with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 14 11:31 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs double to right scored Ian Stewart and Chris Iannetta with none out. On the play, Cole Garner advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Mark Ellis due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 10 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 14 11:27 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Cole Garner walk scored Ty Wigginton with none out. Bases loaded and Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 8 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 14 11:23 PM
- Mark Ellis doubled to right, deflected at center scored Ryan Spilborghs with none out. Runner on second and Todd Helton due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 14 10:48 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to center scored Mark Ellis with two out. Runner on second and Seth Smith due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 14 10:10 PM
- Mark Ellis single to center scored Ryan Spilborghs with one out. Runner on first and Todd Helton due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 14 10:07 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs stole second. Runner on second with one out and Mark Ellis at the plate.
Brewers 2, Rockies 4 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 14 10:07 PM
- Chris Iannetta single to right scored Ian Stewart with none out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advanced to second on the throw home. Runner on second and Ubaldo Jimenez due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 14 9:59 PM
- Ubaldo Jimenez single to center scored Ty Wigginton with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 14 9:27 PM
- Yovani Gallardo double to right scored Yuniesky Betancourt with two out. Runner on second and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 14 9:16 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Mark Ellis due up.
Brewers 1, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 14 8:56 PM
- Prince Fielder double to left scored Ryan Braun with two out. Runner on second and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 14 8:50 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21