Hart leads Brewers over RedsJun 1, 2011 - 5:54 AM
Jonathan Lucroy added his sixth home run, Nyjer Morgan tacked on two hits and an RBI, and Rickie weeks chipped in with two hits for the victors, who snapped a six-game losing streak in Cincinnati.
Zack Greinke (4-1) threw six innings to pick up the win for the Brewers, giving up only two runs on six hits. He walked three and fanned six.
"He kept us in the ballgame," Hart said of Greinke. "He made pitches when he had to and he never backed down."
Drew Stubbs had two hits and Jay Bruce added an RBI single in a losing effort for the Reds, who had their momentum halted after a 7-3 win on Monday.
Chad Reineke (0-1) worked 6 1/3 innings, absorbing the loss in his Reds debut. He gave up six runs on five hits, while striking out two and walking five.
"For whatever reason I kind of got outside of myself," Reineke said. "I was all over the place and was trying too hard. That's not me and I expect a lot more of myself."
Milwaukee took the lead for good in the third with a four-spot. Yuniesky Betancourt led off and reached second on an error by Edgar Renteria. Morgan followed with a single to center to score Betancourt and tie the game at one. Weeks then singled to left and Hart followed with a home run to center to expand the lead to 4-1.
Cincinnati opened the scoring in the first when Stubbs doubled to lead off the inning. After Brandon Phillips lined out and Joey Votto flew out, Bruce ripped one up the middle to score Stubbs and give the Reds an early 1-0 lead.
Cincinnati threatened in the third when a Stubbs single and a walk from Votto gave the Reds two men on with only one out. Greinke battled back to strike out Bruce and induce a ground out from Scott Rolen to end the threat for the Reds.
The Reds cut the lead to two in the fourth. After a walk and two singles loaded the bases with no outs, Greinke got Reineke to ground into a double- play which scored a run, but he fought back to strike out Stubbs and limit the damage to only one run.
Milwaukee extended its lead to 5-2 in the sixth on Lucroy's two-out shot to left.
The Brewers expanded their lead again in the seventh. After back-to-back walks to Craig Counsell and Weeks, Hart blooped a single into center to score Counsell with only one out. Ryan Braun struck out and Prince Fielder grounded out to end the inning for Milwaukee.
Kameron Loe came on in the eighth and retired the heart of the Reds lineup, Votto, Bruce and Rolen in order.
Milwaukee tacked on another run in the ninth when Morgan doubled to lead off the inning and advanced to third on an error by Paul Janish. He scored on a sacrifice fly by Weeks to push the Brewers to a 7-2 lead.
John Axford tossed a scoreless ninth to close out the win for the Brewers.
The Brewers are 12-7 in the second game of a series this season...Milwaukee has only two wins in their past 14 games at Great American Ballpark....Tuesday's start was the first of 2011 for Reineke, who last started on August 5th, 2009 for Oakland...Greinke recorded his first road victory of the season...Braun was thrown out trying to steal in the third, and it was only the second time this season he has been caught stealing...Bruce finished the month of May with 33 RBI and at least one RBI in nine of his last 10 games...Greinke is 4-0 in his last five starts...Hart now has five home runs in his last eight games.
- MILWAUKEE: 7
May 31 10:13 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Brewers 7, Reds 2 Mid 9May 31 9:55 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Brewers 6, Reds 2 Mid 7May 31 9:22 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 5, Reds 2 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 31 8:59 PM
- Chad Reineke grounded into a double play, short to second to first scoring Jonny Gomes with two out. Ramon Hernandez out at second. Edgar Renteria advances to third. Runner on third and Drew Stubbs due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 31 8:41 PM
- Corey Hart one-out, three-run Home Run (5) to center scored Nyjer Morgan and Rickie Weeks. Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 31 7:55 PM
- Nyjer Morgan single to center scored Yuniesky Betancourt with none out. Runner on first and Zack Greinke due up.
Brewers 1, Reds 1 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 31 7:48 PM
- Scott Rolen flied out to right to end the inning.
Brewers 0, Reds 1 End 1May 31 7:25 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 7:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21