Price, Rays down BrewersJun 22, 2011 - 11:58 PM
Price (8-6) went eight innings, giving up just two runs on five hits while fanning 10. After surrendering the two first-inning runs, Price allowed just three hits and one walk the rest of the way.
He got the win thanks to Elliot Johnson, who hit a three-run homer in the seventh inning. Kelly Shoppach also homered for the Rays, who have won five of their last six games.
Prince Fielder went 2-for-4 and Ryan Braun singled in a run for the Brewers, who have lost seven of their last 10 games. Braun extended his career-high hitting streak to 14 games.
Starter Shaun Marcum was closely monitored because of a strained left hip flexor he suffered June 17. He gave up two runs on two hits while striking out two over three innings.
"We said three innings at first when we talked (prior to the game)," Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke said. "He'll be fine for his next time out."
Marco Estrada (1-5) replaced him in the fourth inning, with the game tied 2-2, but gave up the go-ahead run in the sixth.
Sean Rodriguez drew a one-out walk, then moved to third on a Ben Zobrist single through the hole at second. With runners on the corners and two out, B.J. Upton hit a hump-back line drive that fell in front of Carlos Gomez in center.
In the seventh, pinch-hitter Sam Fuld doubled and Shoppach walked before Johnson came up. Side-armer Tim Dillard threw a sinker low but over the plate, and Johnson clubbed it over the wall in right-center for a 6-2 lead.
"Price told me to hit a homer and get all the guys in so he didn't have to. He called it," Johnson said. "Because Price was cruising that gave me the opportunity to hit."
Price pitched two perfect innings before he was replaced by Kyle Farnsworth, who loaded the bases with one out in the ninth. But he got pinch-hitter Nyjer Morgan to hit a sacrifice fly, plating Fielder, before retiring pinch-hitter Mark Kotsay to end the game.
Milwaukee jumped ahead to a 2-0 lead in the first. Rickie Weeks led off with a single and Corey Hart was hit with a pitch before Braun singled to right. The hit plated Weeks, and Hart slid around a tag at third base. Fielder then grounded into a double play that allowed Hart to score.
The Rays answered in the second with two runs of their own to tie the game. With Casey Kotchman on first after a base hit, Shoppach sent a 2-2 pitch over the right-field wall.
The Rays improved to 6-3 in interleague play this season...Price recorded 10 or more strikeouts for the third time in 2011...The Brewers fell to 7-23 when they score three or fewer runs.
- TAMPA BAY: 6
Jun 22 5:11 PM
- Mark Kotsay is pinch-hitting for Jonathan Lucroy.
Rays 6, Brewers 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 22 5:10 PM
- David Price struck out swinging. None on with one out and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 6, Brewers 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 22 4:22 PM
- B.J. Upton singled to center scored Sean Rodriguez with two out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to second. Runners on first and second with Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 3, Brewers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 22 4:00 PM
- Kelly Shoppach two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Casey Kotchman. Elliot Johnson due up.
Rays 2, Brewers 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 22 2:42 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded into a double play, short to first scored Corey Hart. Ryan Braun out at second. None on with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Rays 0, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 22 2:29 PM
- Ryan Braun singled to right scored Rickie Weeks with none out. On the play, Corey Hart advances to third. Runners on first and third with Prince Fielder due up.
Rays 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 22 2:25 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 2:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21