Ludwick helps Padres earn DH split with CubsApr 21, 2011 - 4:36 AM
Ludwick finished the day 5-for-8 after slapping two hits in the first game, which the Cubs won 2-1 on Reed Johnson's home run in the 11th inning.
"That's a long day of baseball," said Cubs manager Mike Quade.
Aaron Harang (4-0) won the nightcap for San Diego despite yielding nine hits and two runs in six innings. He struck out five without a walk.
Heath Bell pitched the ninth inning for his fifth save, getting Darwin Barney looking on a breaking ball to end the game after surrendering a two-out single to Kosuke Fukudome.
James Russell (1-2) took the loss, giving up four runs on seven hits and a walk in four-plus innings.
Alfonso Soriano hit a two-run homer for the Cubs, who lost despite out-hitting San Diego 13-12.
Cameron Maybin and Chris Denorfia belted solo homers for the Padres, who salvaged the three-game series after dropping the first two games. Maybin had two hits and two runs scored, while Denorfia added three hits.
The Padres went 3-4 on a seven-game road trip and are headed back to San Diego for a seven-game homestand, beginning with a four-game set against the Phillies that starts Thursday.
"This month has had quite a few ups and downs for us, but we've been battling and competing till the end and it's nice to get a big win going home," said Maybin.
Ludwick also flashed his glove, making a diving catch in left field to end the first inning. He popped an 0-1 curveball over the seats in left field to give the Padres a 2-0 lead in the second inning.
Maybin homered to dead center field in the fourth inning and Denorfia lined a pitch just over the wall and into the basket in left field leading off the fifth. The blast gave San Diego a 4-0 lead and knocked Russell out of the game for Jeff Stevens.
The Cubs got two runs back in the bottom of the fifth. Soriano led off with a double and came home on Johnson's double with one out. The Padres threw Johnson out at third on the play, but Chicago scored on three straight singles by Jeff Baker, Fukudome and Darwin Barney.
San Diego took a 5-2 lead on Alberto Gonzalez' sacrifice fly in the sixth, which scored Ludwick after he doubled and moved to third on Rob Johnson's single.
Ernesto Frieri pitched a scoreless seventh for San Diego, but Soriano crushed a two-out offering from Chad Qualls into the left field seats in the eighth to get the Cubs within 5-4.
The Padres squandered a chance to add runs in the top of the ninth against John Grabow when Gonzalez was caught stealing and Denorfia was picked off.
The teams were rained out Tuesday...The Cubs' nine-game homestand continues with a three-game weekend series against the Dodgers.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Apr 20 9:57 PM
- Geovany Soto struck out looking to end the inning.
Padres 5, Cubs 4 End 8Apr 20 9:36 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez' sacrifice fly scores Ryan Ludwick with two out. Runner on first with Aaron Harang due up.
Padres 5, Cubs 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 20 8:46 PM
- Darwin Barney singled in Jeff Baker with two out. Runners on first and second with Starlin Castro due up.
Padres 4, Cubs 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 20 8:37 PM
- Reed Johnson doubled in Alfonso Soriano with one out. On the play, Reed Johnson is thrown out at third going for a triple. None on with two outs and Jeff Baker due up.
Padres 4, Cubs 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 20 8:32 PM
- Chris Denorfia lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Jason Bartlett due up.
Padres 4, Cubs 0 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 20 8:17 PM
- Ryan Ludwick doubled to left. Runner on second with one out and Rob Johnson due up.
Padres 3, Cubs 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 20 8:00 PM
- Rob Johnson popped out to second. None on with two outs and Alberto Gonzalez due up.
Padres 2, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 20 7:31 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 7:15 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22