Pena, Ramirez homer twice as Cubs down RockiesJun 28, 2011 - 12:32 AM
Matt Garza tossed 7 1/3 solid innings for the Cubs, who were happy to be back in National League action as their 6-3 setback to the Royals on Sunday marked their seventh consecutive interleague series defeat. Garza (4-6) allowed three runs on five hits and struck out six to get the win.
"It was a good day and a good win," Cubs manager Mike Quade said. "Let's continue to do that."
Carlos Gonzalez slugged two homers in his second multi-homer game of the season for the Rockies, who have lost three straight. Starter Jhoulys Chacin (8-5) suffered the loss, allowing six runs on nine hits over five frames.
"I didn't make my pitches. I was just throwing it all over the place," Chacin said.
Colorado took the first two games of its original three-game series with the Cubs in late April before the finale was postponed.
Garza's fourth pitch of the game was smoked into the seats in left by Gonzalez for a 1-0 lead. It was the Rockies' first leadoff homer of the season.
Coming into the game, Chacin was one of the hottest pitchers in the National League, posting a 3-0 record in four starts in June and yielded just three runs over 26 2/3 innings.
However, the Cubs would get after him in the first and never look back. Starlin Castro's two-out triple off the ivy in center set up Ramirez's home run over the fence in left-center.
Pena ripped a deep homer into center during the fourth to push the lead to 3-1. Later on in the frame, Geovany Soto doubled and moved to third base after back-to-back walks to load the bases. Chacin's control issues continued with a wild pitch to the backstop that allowed Soto to race home.
Pena struck during the next inning with two-run homer that landed close to the same spot as his fourth-inning shot.
Todd Helton drove in Jonathan Herrera in the sixth to make it a 6-2 game but Ramirez got the run back with his second home run in the seventh as the Cubs regained a five-run lead.
In the eighth, Gonzalez belted his second home run with a line shot into the bleachers in right to make up the final score and end Garza's nice outing.
It was Ramirez's 24th multi-homer game and first since July 20, 2010, against the Astros...The Rockies have at least one home run in 10-straight games, tying their season-high. They have 16 homers over their last 10 games...Castro extended his hitting streak to 11 games...The Rockies still have won seven of the past nine meetings overall.
- COLORADO: 3
Jun 27 5:27 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run 2 (12) to right. Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 3, Cubs 7 Top 8, 1 OutJun 27 5:02 PM
- Aramis Ramirez lead off Home Run 2 (8) to center. Carlos Pena due up.
Rockies 2, Cubs 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 27 4:53 PM
- Todd Helton single to right scored Jonathan Herrera with one out. Runner on first and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 2, Cubs 6 Top 6, 1 OutJun 27 4:25 PM
- Carlos Pena one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (16) to left scored Aramis Ramirez. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Rockies 1, Cubs 6 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 27 4:06 PM
- With Tony Campana batting, Geovany Soto scored on a Jhoulys Chacin wild pitch with two out. On the play, Matt Garza advances to third. Kosuke Fukudome advances to second. Runners on second and third and Tony Campana at the plate.
Rockies 1, Cubs 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 27 3:51 PM
- Carlos Pena lead-off Home Run (15) to center. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Rockies 1, Cubs 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 27 3:32 PM
- Aramis Ramirez two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left center scored Starlin Castro. Carlos Pena due up.
Rockies 1, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 27 2:44 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 27 2:26 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 2:24 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21