Indians down TwinsJul 18, 2011 - 9:00 PM
The Minnesota Twins, 16 1/2 games out of first place in early June, have stormed back into contention in the American League Central. The club entered Monday's series-opening, day-night doubleheader against the Indians just five games back of division co-leaders Cleveland and idle Detroit.
The Twins, though, were stymied by Cleveland's David Huff in the first game of the twin bill, a 5-2 victory for the Indians.
Recalled from Triple-A Columbus to make his season debut with the Tribe, Huff (1-0) scattered five hits, walked two and struck out five over seven scoreless innings. The left-hander had compiled a 6.57 ERA in seven previous starts against the Twins.
"Nice job by David Huff. He was able to hold them down for seven innings," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta.
Asdrubal Cabrera clubbed a three-run homer for the Indians, who snapped a six- game losing streak at Target Field.
Anthony Swarzak (2-3) yielded the home run to Cabrera, one of six hits Cleveland registered off the Minnesota right-hander in six innings. Swarzak was originally scheduled to start Game 2 of the doubleheader, but pitched in place of Scott Baker, who was placed on the disabled list following Sunday's game.
"He threw the ball really well except for that one inning," Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire said about Swarzak, who gave up four runs in the third.
Austin Kearns hit a leadoff home run off Twins reliever Matt Capps to put the visitors up 5-0 in the ninth.
Minnesota tried to make things interesting in the bottom of the inning, as Michael Cuddyer followed a leadoff single by Joe Mauer with a two-run blast off Chad Durbin.
Vinnie Pestano retired the next three batters to earn his second save and temporarily move the Indians back atop the AL Central.
Cleveland scored four runs before Swarzak had recorded an out in the third. The inning began with a two-base throwing error by Minnesota second baseman Alexi Casilla, and the Indians followed with three consecutive hits.
A slow roller up the middle by Ezequiel Carrera plated Lonnie Chisenhall. Michael Brantley then singled before Cabrera launched his 17th home run of the season, a drive to right field.
Cabrera's 2011 home run total is just one shy of the number he accumulated in his first four seasons in the majors.
To make room on the roster for Huff, the Indians placed center fielder Grady Sizemore on the 15-day disabled list with a right knee contusion...Scott Diamond will make his major league debut when he starts Game 2 of the doubleheader for Minnesota. Cleveland is expected to activate Fausto Carmona from the DL to start the nightcap...The last time the Indians and Twins played a doubleheader in Minnesota was September 3, 1978 at Metropolitan Stadium...Cleveland became the last major league team to use a left-handed starter this year...Mauer collected three of Minnesota's seven hits.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Jul 18 3:54 PM
- Michael Cuddyer none-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Joe Mauer. Jim Thome due up.
Indians 5, Twins 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 18 3:46 PM
- Austin Kearns lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Luis Valbuena due up.
Indians 5, Twins 0 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 18 3:36 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera none-out, three-run Home Run (17) to right scored Ezequiel Carrera and Michael Brantley. Travis Hafner due up.
Indians 4, Twins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 18 1:49 PM
- Ezequiel Carrera singled to center scored Lonnie Chisenhall. Runner on second with none out as Carrera advanced to second on throw home and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 1, Twins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 18 1:45 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 18 1:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21