Beltran blasts 3 2-run homers in Mets' winMay 13, 2011 - 4:28 AM
Beltran became the eighth Met in club history to have a three-homer game, hitting them from both sides of the plate to help the Mets win for a fifth time in the past seven games.
"What a day he had," said Willie Harris, who was on base for each of Beltran's homers in the first, seventh and ninth innings.
Jose Reyes hit a two-run single while Jon Niese (2-4) got the win as he was charged with five runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings.
Seth Smith drove in two runs for the Rockies, who have dropped six of seven. Ubaldo Jimenez (0-3) remained winless in six starts as he gave up five runs on three hits with six walks over just 3 2/3 innings.
"I had to find a way to get loose. It's really hard when it's cold and it's raining," said Jimenez.
This game was a makeup of Wednesday's postponement due to rain, and, after a two-hour, 10-minute delay to the start of this contest, Beltran began the show.
In the first, Harris drew a one-out walk and Beltran followed by clubbing a first-pitch fastball over the center field wall.
Colorado got one back in the bottom of the frame on Jonathan Herrera's solo shot to left.
The fourth inning saw the Mets add to their lead. With the bases loaded and no outs, Josh Thole lofted a sacrifice fly to center to score Jason Bay. Three batters later with the bases again loaded, Reyes punched a single to right to bring home two more for a 5-1 lead.
A solo home run from Todd Helton in the bottom of the fourth made it a 5-2 contest.
Beltran's second home run of the game came in the seventh inning. On the ninth pitch with a 2-2 count, he drilled a fastball to left for a 7-2 lead.
Colorado got to within striking distance in the seventh. A pinch-hit, RBI single from Alfredo Amezaga got one run across and left two men on base. After Mike O'Connor took the mound, Seth Smith hit a double to left-center that scored both runners to make it a 7-5 game.
The Rockies got runners to second and third with one out in the eighth. Jason Isringhausen, though, struck out Jose Morales and got Jason Giambi to fly out and end the inning.
Beltran smacked his third two-run shot of the game in the ninth for a 9-5 lead and Francisco Rodriguez threw a 1-2-3 bottom portion of the inning to close out the contest.
"Those were three good at bats. To hit a home run to all fields from both sides, I've never seen anything like that," said Mets manager Terry Collins.
Reyes was the last Met to hit three home runs in a game. He did that on August 15, 2006 at Philadelphia...Both of Herrera's home runs this year have come against the Mets...Jimenez fell to 2-3 in six career starts versus the Mets...Niese is now 1-2 in five starts against the Rockies.
- NEW YORK: 9
May 12 8:13 PM
- Carlos Beltran two-out, two-run Home Run 3 (8) to right scored Willie Harris. Jason Bay due up.
Mets 9, Rockies 5 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 12 8:03 PM
- Seth Smith double to left center scored Jose Morales and Alfredo Amezaga with one out. Runner on second and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Mets 7, Rockies 5 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 12 7:24 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Alfredo Amezaga single to center scored Jose Lopez with one out. On the play, Jose Morales advances to second. Runners on first and second and Seth Smith due up.
Mets 7, Rockies 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 12 7:21 PM
- Carlos Beltran two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (7) to left scored Willie Harris. Jason Bay due up.
Mets 7, Rockies 2 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 12 7:11 PM
- Todd Helton lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Mets 5, Rockies 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 12 6:28 PM
- Jose Reyes single to right scored Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner with two out. On the play, Jon Niese advances to third. Runners on first and third with Willie Harris due up.
Mets 5, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 12 6:21 PM
- Josh Thole sacrifice fly to center scored Jason Bay with one out. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jason Pridie due up.
Mets 3, Rockies 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 12 6:14 PM
- Jonathan Herrera one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 12 5:33 PM
- Carlos Beltran one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Willie Harris. Jason Bay due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 12 5:24 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 5:21 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21