Streaking Marlins shut down MetsJul 19, 2011 - 4:00 AM
Hensley (1-2) worked five scoreless innings, yielding one hit in his first start since June 24 2008, when he was a member of the San Diego Padres. Hensley, who hadn't pitched since June 1 due to a sprained right shoulder, also fanned three and walked a pair.
"It was fun. Obviously I was very happy to be out there on the mound and I was pleased with the results for the most part," said Hensley. "I wasn't as sharp as I would have liked to have been, but it was something to build on."
Michael Dunn, Edward Mujica, Randy Choate and Leo Nunez combined to finish off the victory Nunez pitched two-thirds of an inning to earn his 27th save of the season.
Mike Stanton ripped an RBI double while Logan Morrison and Mike Cameron had RBI singles for the Marlins, who have won three consecutive games and nine of their past 10.
Chris Capuano (8-9) pitched a solid 7 2/3 frames, giving up four runs on seven hits while fanning five and walking two.
"I think Cappy [Capuano] pitched a good game and kept us in it," Mets manager Terry Collins said of his starter's effort. "We just couldn't get anything going offensively."
The Mets' lone run came on a bases loaded sacrifice fly in the ninth by Jason Bay. Willie Harris collected a pair of hits and Nick Evans singled for New York, which has lost five of its last six games.
The Marlins jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the fourth. With two outs and Hanley Ramirez buried in a 1-2 count, he slapped a single and Gaby Sanchez worked a walk to set things up for Stanton, who came through with a two-run double into the gap in left-center field. Cameron followed with an RBI single to left to extend the Florida lead.
Emilio Bonifacio led off the eighth with a sharp single to right to extend his hitting streak to 17 games. He advanced to second on a perfectly placed sacrifice bunt up the first base line by Omar Infante. Bonifacio then swiped third and scored on a single down the right field line by Morrison.
Harris led off the ninth with a single and Evans walked to put runners on first and second with one out. Choate went to a 2-0 count against Lucas Duda before he was pulled in favor of Nunez. Nunez walked Duda to load the bases and Bay followed by lofting a sacrifice fly to center. Ronny Paulino grounded out to end the game.
Mets infielder Daniel Murphy had his seven game hitting streak snapped...The Mets are 20-25 at home this season...The Marlins lead the season series by a 3-2 count...Prior to Monday's game, the Marlins activated Hensley from the 15-day DL and optioned pitcher Chris Hatcher to Double-A Jacksonville...Mets' infielder Scott Hairston was removed from the game in the third after fouling a ball off of his shin...Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran missed his third consecutive game because of illness.
- FLORIDA: 4
NEW YORK: 1
Jul 18 10:08 PM
- Jason Bay sacrifice fly to center scored Daniel Murphy with two out. On the play, Nick Evans advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Ronny Paulino due up.
Marlins 4, Mets 1 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 18 10:06 PM
- Logan Morrison single to right scored Emilio Bonifacio with one out. On the play, Logan Morrison was thrown out trying to advance to second. None on with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 4, Mets 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 18 9:29 PM
- Mike Cameron single to left scored Mike Stanton with two out. Runner on first and John Buck due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 18 8:18 PM
- Mike Stanton double to left scored Hanley Ramirez and Gaby Sanchez with two out. Runner on second and Mike Cameron due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 18 8:14 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 18 7:13 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21