Heisey powers Reds past YankeesJun 23, 2011 - 6:21 AM
Heisey finished 3-for-4 with five RBI and scored four times for the Reds, who dropped a 4-2 decision in the twinbill opener.
Scott Rolen added two hits, two RBI and two runs scored for Cincinnati, which won for the second time in its last six games.
"Offense is contagious when someone gets it started and then all of a sudden, you get a couple more hits and everybody joins in," Heisey said.
Cueto (5-2) allowed just two hits and one run, while fanning six and walking three.
Alex Rodriguez collected two hits and drove in a run, while Nick Swisher posted a solo homer for the Yankees, who saw their four-game win streak snapped.
Brian Gordon (0-1) took the loss in his second major-league start, charged with four runs on five hits -- including three homers -- over five full frames.
"(Gordon) left some balls up tonight," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi.
Ahead by a 4-1 margin, Cueto's fielding error on a Robinson Cano grounder loaded the bases in the New York seventh. But the Reds starter avoided trouble by getting Ramiro Pena to ground into a force at home and retiring pinch- hitter Jorge Posada on a grounder.
Cincinnati responded with three runs in the home half on Rolen's RBI double, a run-scoring infield single by Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce's bases-loaded hit-by-pitch for a 7-1 contest.
The Yanks picked up a run on a Rodriguez two-out double that drove in Curtis Granderson, but Swisher struck out looking to end the inning.
In the home portion, Rolen knocked in Drew Stubbs with a single then Heisey capped his career game with a two-run blast to make it 10-2.
Heisey got the home team off to a good start, greeting Gordon with a long homer to right, but Swisher equalized with a solo shot to start the second.
Jonny Gomes began the home second with a shot to left, then in the fifth, Paul Janish singled with one out and Heisey cleared the wall in left to make it 4-1 for Cincinnati.
Heisey was the 32nd player in Reds history to hit three homers in one game, with the last being Bruce on August 27, 2010...Cueto has given up just one earned run in his last three starts. He has allowed three earned runs or less in all of his nine starts this year...Prior to the contest, the Yankees placed pitcher Jeff Marquez on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Buddy Carlyle from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- NEW YORK: 2
Jun 22 10:04 PM
- Chris Heisey two-out, two-run Home Run 3 (8) to left scored Scott Rolen. Brandon Phillips due up.
Yankees 2, Reds 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 22 9:51 PM
- Scott Rolen single to right scored Drew Stubbs with two outs. Runner on first and Chris Heisey due up.
Yankees 2, Reds 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 22 9:50 PM
- Alex Rodriguez double to center scored Curtis Granderson with two outs. Runner on second and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 2, Reds 7 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 22 9:40 PM
- Jay Bruce was hit-by-pitch, scoring Chris Heisey with two outs. Bases loaded and Jonny Gomes due up.
Yankees 1, Reds 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 22 9:28 PM
- Brandon Phillips grounded into a fielder's choice, scoring Scott Rolen with two outs. On the play, Chris Heisey advances to second. Runners on first and second and Joey Votto due up.
Yankees 1, Reds 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 22 9:24 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Scott Rolen double to left scored Miguel Cairo with one out. On the play, Paul Janish advances to third. Runners on second and third and Chris Heisey due up.
Yankees 1, Reds 5 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 22 9:21 PM
- Brandon Phillips flied out to center to end the inning.
Yankees 1, Reds 4 End 5Jun 22 8:32 PM
- Jonny Gomes lead-off Home Run (9) to left. Ramon Hernandez due up.
Yankees 1, Reds 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 22 7:38 PM
- Nick Swisher lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 1, Reds 1 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 22 7:30 PM
- Chris Heisey lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Brandon Phillips due up.
Yankees 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 22 7:22 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 7:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21