Pirates topple Brewers in game two of doubleheaderAug 23, 2011 - 5:35 AM
The Brewers won the opener, 8-1, behind a strong performance from Chris Narveson, who returned from the disabled list to toss 5 1/3 scoreless frames and knock in a pair of runs.
In the nightcap, Ryan Doumit went 2-for-4 with a home run and two RBI for the Pirates, who had lost 13 straight games to the Brewers.
Brad Lincoln allowed two runs over six frames before handing the ball to Daniel McCutchen (4-3), who worked a scoreless seventh to earn the win.
Zack Greinke (12-5) was charged with seven runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings to suffer the loss. He had won his previous five starts.
Corey Hart had a solo home run for the Brewers, who have won 23 of 27 despite the setback. They remain a comfortable nine games ahead of the Cardinals for first place in the NL Central.
"When you're on the road and you're playing a doubleheader, you're fine with a split," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke admitted.
Hart began the game with a home run to center. Nyjer Morgan followed with a single, stole second, advanced to third on Ryan Braun's flyout and beat Neil Walker's throw home on a Prince Fielder grounder to give the Brewers a 2-0 lead. They would not score for the remainder of the game.
"The way the game started, for him to right himself, gather himself and then pitch five consecutive scoreless innings...was outstanding," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of Lincoln.
The Pirates pushed a run across in the bottom half. Jose Tabata, who finished 2-for-5, led off with a single, moved to second on an Xavier Paul groundout and scored on Walker's single.
Doumit belted a game-tying homer in the fourth.
Garrett Jones began the bottom of the seventh with a single. After Matt Diaz was hit by a pitch, Harrison doubled to push across the go-ahead run. From there the floodgates opened.
Diaz scored on a wild pitch and Tabata followed an Andrew McCutchen walk with a double to make it a 5-2 game, marking the end of Greinke's night.
Frankie De La Cruz entered and surrendered run-scoring singles to Paul and Doumit and a sac fly to Jones. Walker scored on a wild pitch to seal the final margin.
The Brewers are now 9-1 against the Pirates on the season. They had won 13 straight over Pittsburgh dating back to last season...Greinke suffered his first loss since July 21...Narveson returned from the 15-day DL to start the opener of the twin-bill. He was removed in the sixth inning after injuring the middle finger of his throwing hand. Earlier in the month, he landed on the DL after accidentally slicing his left thumb with a pair of scissors while repairing his glove...On Monday, the Pirates placed pitcher Kevin Correia on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique, retroactive to August 20. To fill the roster spot, the Pirates recalled pitcher Chris Leroux from Triple-A Indianapolis and activated him from the 15- day disabled list.
- MILWAUKEE: 2
Aug 22 11:20 PM
- Ryan Doumit advances to second and Neil Walker scored on a Frankie De La Cruz wild pitch with two outs. Runner on second and Matt Diaz at the plate.
Brewers 2, Pirates 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 22 10:54 PM
- Garrett Jones sacrifice fly to right scored Xavier Paul with two outs. On the play, Neil Walker advances to third. Runners on first and third and and Matt Diaz due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 22 10:50 PM
- Ryan Doumit single to left scored Jose Tabata with one out. On the play, Neil Walker advances to second and Xavier Paul advances to third. Bases loaded and Garrett Jones due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 7 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 22 10:48 PM
- Xavier Paul single to left scored Andrew McCutchen with one out. On the play, Jose Tabata advances to third. Runners on first and third and Neil Walker due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 6 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 22 10:43 PM
- Jose Tabata double to right scored Josh Harrison with one out. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Runners on second and third and Xavier Paul due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 5 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 22 10:37 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Andrew McCutchen walked. On the play, Josh Harrison advances to third and Matt Diaz scored on a Zack Greinke wild pitch with one out. Runners on first and third and Jose Tabata due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 4 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 22 10:36 PM
- Josh Harrison double to left scored Garrett Jones with none out. On the play, Matt Diaz advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 22 10:27 PM
- Ryan Doumit one-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Garrett Jones due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 22 9:38 PM
- Neil Walker single to left scored Jose Tabata with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Doumit due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 22 8:54 PM
- Prince Fielder reached base on a fielder's choice to second, scoring Nyjer Morgan with one out. Runner on first and Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 22 8:45 PM
- Corey Hart lead-off Home Run (19) to center. Nyjer Morgan due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 22 8:39 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 8:39 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21