Gallardo shuts down DiamondbacksMay 26, 2012 - 6:29 AM
Gallardo (3-4) allowed just five hits and three walks while striking out five. Francisco Rodriguez got the final two outs in the eighth thanks to a double play ball, and Jose Veras battled some wildness in the ninth, but turned away the Diamondbacks.
Ryan Braun and Corey Hart crushed two-run homers. Rickie Weeks added a solo shot and Cesar Izturis contributed an RBI single for the Brewers, who have won two straight.
"We really played well today," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "I thought Gallardo pitched well. His command wasn't as sharp as he is at times. The double plays really picked him up, kept his pitch count down and got him out of some trouble. He did throw the ball really well, but I have seem him a little better at command."
Jason Kubel accounted for the only run of the game with a home run for the Diamondbacks, who have dropped three of their last four contests.
Ian Kennedy (3-5) allowed four runs on seven hits and a pair of walks while whiffing seven to absorb the loss.
Milwaukee struck first in the second inning when Weeks got a fastball out over the plate from Kennedy and crushed it deep into the seats in left-center field.
The Brewers used the long ball again during a three-run fourth inning to extend the lead to 4-0. Nyjer Morgan started the frame with a single up the middle and moved to second on a balk before Braun ripped a Kennedy offering over the wall in right for his 13th homer of the season. Aramis Ramirez followed with a base hit and Travis Ishikawa was plunked three batters later to put runners on first and second. Izturis then singled home Ramirez.
Arizona got on the board in the home half of the inning when Kubel banged a 2-2 fastball from Gallardo to dead center field and over the wall.
Cody Ransom, who was designated for assignment by Arizona on May 21 and claimed by Milwaukee two days later, began the Brewers' eighth with a single and moved to second on a sac-bunt by Gallardo before Hart crushed a first- pitch changeup from Josh Collmenter deep and gone to left field for a 6-1 advantage.
Ramirez was plunked by Craig Breslow to start the ninth, moved to second on a single by Jonathan Lucroy, and to third after Weeks walked before trotting home on a sacrifice fly by Ishikawa.
"We got hurt by the home runs tonight," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said. Ryan's ball was elevated and he hurt us, so we need to stay away from him."
The Brewers are 8-13 on the road this season, and 6-9 in the first games of series...Earlier on Friday, FOXSports.com reported that the D-Backs agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract extension with catcher Miguel Montero. The team is expected to announce the deal at a press conference on Saturday...Ramirez was removed from the game in the ninth inning after being hit in the elbow by Breslow...Gallardo is 6-0 in eight career starts against Arizona...Arizona grounded into four double plays...The D-Backs fell to 2-10 in their last 12 home games...After the game, the Brewers put Izturis on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. He suffered the injury in the sixth inning.
- MILWAUKEE: 7
May 26 12:56 AM
- Travis Ishikawa sacrifice fly out to center scored Aramis Ramirez with one out. Runners on first and second and Cody Ransom due up.
Brewers 7, Diamondbacks 1 Top 9, 1 OutMay 26 12:36 AM
- Corey Hart one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Cody Ransom. Nyjer Morgan due up.
Brewers 6, Diamondbacks 1 Top 8, 1 OutMay 26 12:00 AM
- Jason Kubel two-out, solo Home Run (4) to center. Chris Young due up.
Brewers 4, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 25 10:47 PM
- Cesar Izturis single to center scored Aramis Ramirez with two out. On the play, Travis Ishikawa advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Yovani Gallardo due up.
Brewers 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 25 10:38 PM
- Ryan Braun none-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right scored Nyjer Morgan. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 25 10:28 PM
- Rickie Weeks two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left center. Travis Ishikawa due up.
Brewers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 25 9:56 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 9:40 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Wright swings away, gives Mets 5-4 comeback win over Brewers May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21