Giants edge Diamondbacks 3-1May 30, 2012 - 6:50 AM
Arizona reliever Bryan Shaw (1-3) walked Ryan Theriot to start the eighth and Melky Cabrera set a record by following with his third hit of the game, a single to right field.
Cabrera upped his hit total this month to 50, breaking Willie Mays' 1958 mark for the most in the month of May in the San Francisco era.
"It's been a treat to watch him day in and day out," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said about Cabrera.
Posey, who doubled home Cabrera with the tying run two innings earlier, put the Giants on top by sending Shaw's offering to right.
Joaquin Arias plated an insurance run by grounding into a 4-6 fielder's choice with the bases loaded.
"You gotta tip your cap to them," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson. "They executed."
Santiago Casilla earned his 14th save of the season with a flawless ninth.
Cabrera, Posey (two) and Angel Pagan (two) accounted for San Francisco's seven hits.
Giants starter Ryan Vogelsong escaped a pair of bases-loaded jams while pitching seven innings. He gave up six hits, including an RBI single by Arizona's Josh Bell in the second, walked three and struck out eight.
The late offensive burst made a winner out of Clay Hensley (2-3).
Diamondbacks left-hander Joe Saunders held the Giants to one run on five hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Randy Winn (51 in September 2005) holds the record for the most hits in a single month in the San Francisco era...The Giants have won four straight over the Diamondbacks after dropping the previous nine meetings...No Arizona player had more than one hit...Saunders remains winless (0-4) in six career starts against the Giants...The Diamondbacks were 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine.
- ARIZONA: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
May 30 1:14 AM
- Joaquin Arias reached first on a fielder's choice, second to short, that scored Melky Cabrera with two out. On the play, Brandon Belt out at second as Angel Pagan advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Brandon Crawford due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 30 1:05 AM
- Buster Posey sacrifice fly out to right scored Ryan Theriot with one out. Runner on first and Angel Pagan due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 30 12:56 AM
- Angel Pagan singled to short. On the play, Buster Posey advanced to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Brett Pill due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 1 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 30 12:16 AM
- Josh Bell single to center scored Chris Young with two out. Runner on first and John McDonald due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 29 10:43 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 10:16 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21