Young, Saunders lead Diamondbacks over RockiesJul 25, 2012 - 5:30 AM
Arizona has won five straight and eight in a row at home to climb over .500.
Saunders (5-6) recorded a season-high nine strikeouts and gave up just three hits -- though two were home-run balls to Michael Cuddyer.
"I felt great," Saunders said. "I kind of knew when I was warming up that I had good life on my fastball. Everything was working in the bullpen."
Edwar Cabrera (0-2), in his second major-league start, gave up two runs on four hits and four walks in just 3 1/3 innings of work.
Cuddyer broke a scoreless tie in the fourth with a home run to left, but a pair of run-scoring doubles by Stephen Drew and Willie Bloomquist in the bottom half gave Arizona the lead.
A fan reached over the wall and interfered with Bloomquist's line drive, resulting in a ground-rule double, but no one had a chance to spoil Young's homer in the fifth, as his blast off Josh Roenicke landed over the bullpen down the left-field line.
Cuddyer cut the deficit to 4-2 with his 14th home run of the season in the sixth, though Montero, who on Tuesday tied Chris Snyder for most games caught in Diamondbacks history, padded the lead with a two-run single in the seventh.
Takashi Saito and David Hernandez each hurled a perfect inning of relief behind Saunders to close out the win. Arizona pitchers retired the final 10 batter they faced.
"We didn't pitch very well tonight and we didn't hit," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said. "You're not going to win too many games that way."
Montero and Snyder have each caught 537 games for Arizona...Young went 2-for-2 with two walks...To open a spot on their roster for Cabrera, the Rockies placed infielder Jason Giambi on the 15-day disabled list with fatigue...Cuddyer has eight career multi-home run games...The Rockies are just 5-18 at Chase Field since the start of the 2010 season.
- COLORADO: 2
Jul 25 12:28 AM
- Miguel Montero single to center scored Jason Kubel and Justin Upton with one out. Runner on first and Chris Young due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 25 12:01 AM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, solo Home Run 2 (14) to center. Andrew Brown due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 24 11:34 PM
- Chris Young two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Justin Upton. Stephen Drew due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 24 11:26 PM
- Willie Bloomquist fan-interference double to left center scored Stephen Drew with one out. Runner on second and Aaron Hill due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 24 11:06 PM
- Stephen Drew double to left center scored Chris Young with none out. Runner on second and Joe Saunders due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 24 10:58 PM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Andrew Brown due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 24 10:48 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 9:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21