Goldschmidt powers D-Backs over DodgersAug 1, 2012 - 5:50 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Paul Goldschmidt went 3-for-4 with a two- run home run and Miguel Montero hit a three-run shot to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 8-2 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the middle test of a three-game set at Dodgers Stadium.
"I've been feeling good," Montero said. "I'm just trying to stay back a little longer and trust my hands. I feel pretty good."
Chris Johnson had three hits and knocked in a pair of runs and Justin Upton had a hit and drove in one for the Diamondbacks, who have won four of their last five.
Wade Miley (12-6) earned the win after giving up just one run on three hits and struck out seven.
"I felt good after (Dodgers second baseman Mark Ellis) hit," Miley said. "I was throwing pitches for strikes and keeping guys off balance. Everything has been working."
"We're playing good baseball right now," Montero said. "The guys are pitching better. We just have to try not to do too much and just do our thing."
Mark Ellis hit a solo homer for the Dodgers, who fell for the second night in a row. Hanley Ramirez had an RBI in the loss.
Chris Capuano (10-7) was pegged with the loss after giving up five runs on six hits with six strikeouts over six innings. He has lost four of his last five starts.
The Diamondbacks took a 2-0 lead in the first when Goldschmidt launched a two-run homer to left. Jason Kubel walked before Goldschmidt lifted his 15th homer of the season.
The Dodgers got one back in the home half with Mark Ellis' solo homer.
Arizona went up 5-1 in the sixth when Montero smacked a three-run homer. Goldschmidt and Upton hit back-to-back singles before Montero crushed his 12th homer of the season over the right-field wall.
The Diamondbacks added three more in the ninth to take an 8-1 lead. Chris Young doubled down the line in left, then moved to third when the ball slipped out of Jerry Hairston's hand and went out of play as the left fielder attempted to throw the ball into the infield. Kubel was intentionally walked and Goldschmidt was given a free pass to load the bases. Upton grounded into a force out that pushed Young across and Johnson's base hit plated Kubel and Upton.
The Dodgers pushed one across in the home half when Matt Kemp singled, moved to third when Andre Either singled then scored when Ramirez grounded out.
"They jumped on us early again with the home run in the first," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "Goldschmidt is swinging the bat well. His homers have been legit. Capuano kept us in the ballgame, but their guy shut us down. We didn't do enough to win the game."
The D-backs have won five straight against the Dodgers...Earlier Tuesday, Arizona traded reliever Craig Breslow to the Red Sox for outfielder Scott Podsednik and pitcher Matt Albers...Miley has won three of his last four starts and is 2-1 lifetime against the Dodgers...The Dodgers acquired outfielder Shane Victorino from the Phillies in exchange for reliever Josh Lindblom and minor league pitcher Ethan Martin Tuesday.
- ARIZONA: 8
LOS ANGELES: 2
Aug 1 1:07 AM
- Hanley Ramirez ground out second to first scored Matt Kemp with two outs. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runner on second and Ronald Belisario due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Dodgers 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 1 1:04 AM
- Chris Johnson singled to center scored Jason Kubel and Justin Upton with two outs. On the play, Miguel Montero was tagged out at third to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 8, Dodgers 1 Mid 9Aug 1 12:53 AM
- Justin Upton ground ball ifielder's choice, short to second scored Chris Young with two outs. Paul Goldschmidt out at second Jason Kubel advances to third. Runners on first and third and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Dodgers 1 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 1 12:48 AM
- Miguel Montero two-out, three-run Home Run (12) to right scored Paul Goldschmidt and Justin Upton. Chris Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 31 11:42 PM
- Mark Ellis one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Matt Kemp due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 31 10:26 PM
- Justin Upton grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 0 Mid 1Jul 31 10:21 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 31 10:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21