Walker keys Pirates to win over DiamondbacksAug 9, 2012 - 6:16 AM
Starling Marte and Jordy Mercer also homered for the Pirates, who have won nine of their last 14.
Kevin Correia (9-6) picked up the win in a spot start after giving up four runs -- three earned -- on six hits. He also struck out five over six innings.
"He had a challenge early but he settled down and competed well," said Pittsburgh mananger Clint Hurdle about Correia. "He did a good job for us out there tonight and I'm proud of him."
Joel Hanrahan picked up his NL-best 33rd save after striking out the side in the ninth.
Paul Goldschmidt had two RBI, Willie Bloomquist went 3-for-5 with two RBI and Stephen Drew scored three runs for the D-backs, who have lost four of their last five.
Ian Kennedy (10-9) was pegged with the loss after giving up six runs -- five earned -- on eight hits over four-plus innings. It was his shortest outing of the season. Kennedy also had a four-start winning streak snapped.
The D-backs struck early, scoring two in the first. Drew doubled and Bloomquist reached on a bunt single to put runners at the corners for Chris Johnson, who delivered with a base hit to score Drew. Goldschmidt then lifted a sacrifice fly to right to plate Bloomquist, who moved to third on Johnson's single.
Walker's three-run blast in the home half put the Pirates ahead. Andrew McCutchen and Jones hit a pair of two-out singles before Walker turned on a 1-2 fastball for his 13th homer of the year.
Marte's solo shot in the third put the Bucs up 4-2. It was the fourth homer he's hit since making his Major League debut July 26.
Arizona knotted it up at 4-4 in the fifth. Gerardo Para and Drew both walked to put runners at first and second with one out. Bloomquist followed with a double to plate Para and Drew scored on a fielding error by Pedro Alvarez. Goldschmidt ripped a hard grounder to third that took a nasty hop and Alvarez was unable to corral it.
But Pittsburgh countered with two in the home half. Walker clobbered a two-run double into the left-center gap to score Travis Snider and McCutchen. Snider singled to open the frame and McCutchen reached on an error to set the table for Walker. It was the second time in eight games that Walker drove in five runs.
Mercer's homer in the sixth gave the Pirates a 7-4 lead. It was the first homer of Mercer's career.
Arizona pushed one across in both the seventh and eighth to make it 7-6.
The D-backs scored one in the seventh but would leave the bases loaded. Drew walked then moved to third on a missed catch by Garrett Jones. Goldschmidt brought him home with a sacrifice fly in the seventh.
Justin Upton and Miguel Montero would both reach on fielding errors to load the bases but Tony Watson struck out Young to end the inning. An irate Young threw his bat and helmet and was immediately thrown out by home plate up Larry Vanover. Young had to be restrained by Arizona manger Kirk Gibson before leaving the field. Upton was ejected moments later by first base umpire Alfonso Marquez after throwing his own helmet
"I never got so amped up on the field before," said Young. "I never blew up like that. It's the first time I got tossed in my six-year career."
Bloomquist's single in the eighth scored Para to cap the scoring.
Walker tied Arizona's Aaron Hill for the NL lead in homers (13) for second baseman this season. He also tied a career-high with five RBI...Pittsburgh finished with four errors. Two were charged to Jones. Alvarez and Mercer accounted for the other two mishaps. The Pirates recalled pitcher Jeff Locke from Triple-A Indianapolis and optioned outfielder Alex Presley to Indianapolis...Kennedy is 16-3 in 20 second-half starts since 2011...The D- backs are 2-7 in their last nine games at PNC Park.
- ARIZONA: 6
Aug 8 10:21 PM
- Willie Bloomquist singled to right scored Gerardo Parra. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Pirates 7 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 8 10:03 PM
- Justin Upton reached first on Jordy Mercer's throwing error. On the play, Willie Bloomquist advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Pirates 7 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 8 9:28 PM
- Jordy Mercer lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Kevin Correia due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Pirates 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 8 9:10 PM
- Neil Walker doubled to left scored Travis Snider and Andrew McCutchen. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Pirates 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 8 8:47 PM
- Justin Upton struck out swinging to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 4, Pirates 4 Mid 5Aug 8 8:39 PM
- Chris Johnson struck out swinging. Runners on second and third with two outs and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Pirates 4 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 8 8:36 PM
- Travis Snider singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 8 7:56 PM
- Neil Walker two-out, three-run Home Run (13) to right scored Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 8 7:32 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt sacrifice fly out to right scored Willie Bloomquist. Runner on first with one out and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 8 7:13 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to right scored Stephen Drew. On the play, Willie Bloomquist advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 8 7:11 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 8 7:06 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21