Arizona tops San Francisco in 11 inningsSep 5, 2012 - 7:46 AM
Facing George Kontos (1-1), Aaron Hill singled to begin the inning. After Justin Upton flied out, Javier Lopez was summoned from the Giants bullpen, but surrendered a rocket line drive to Kubel that went off the glove of right fielder Hunter Pence and rolled to the wall, which allowed Hill to score.
Paul Goldschmidt was intentionally walked and Miguel Montero gave Arizona an insurance run with an RBI single to account for the final margin.
Josh Collmenter (4-3) earned the win with two scoreless innings of relief.
"They got two guys on in the last inning there," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said. "Typical Colly (Collmenter), just got great composure, he has ice in his veins...it's just a good win for us."
Hill smoked a two-run home run while John McDonald ripped a two-run single for the Diamondbacks, who snapped a three-game skid. Goldschmidt and starter Ian Kennedy also drove in runs in the win.
Brandon Belt crushed a two-run homer, Pablo Sandoval drove in a pair, while Marco Scutaro and Pence knocked in runs for the Giants, who had their three- game winning streak snapped.
San Francisco struck first in its first at-bat courtesy of an RBI groundout by Sandoval, but the Diamondbacks tied it in the second inning when Kennedy knocked home Ryan Wheeler with a base hit into right.
Arizona put up three runs in the third inning to take a 4-1 lead. Hill got things started with a single and Upton followed with a base knock. After Kubel fanned, Goldschmidt ripped a double down into the right-field corner to score Hill. Montero was intentionally walked to load the bases with one out and McDonald came up with a clutch two-run single two batters later to widen the advantage.
Scutaro brought the Giants within 4-2 in the third when he smoked an RBI double into the left-center field gap, but again the D'Backs widended their lead in the fourth.
Adam Eaton ripped a one-out double into left field for his first major-league hit, and trotted the rest of the way around the diamond after Hill waited on a changeup and smashed it over the wall in left-center field for a 6-2 lead.
San Francisco made it a one-run game in the sixth. Sandoval started the frame with a double down the line in left field and scored on a double by Pence. Belt followed and yanked a fastball from Kennedy deep into McCovey Cove for a 6-5 contest.
Angel Pagan began the San Francisco seventh with a double and came around to score on a clutch base hit into left field by Sandoval, tying the game at 6-6.
"We got down and they came back, couldn't quite finish the deal," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Prior to Tuesday's game, the Diamondbacks recalled outfielder Eaton from Triple-A Reno and transferred catcher Henry Blanco to the 60-day disabled list ... Arizona fell to 1-6 in its last seven games against the Giants ... Prior to the game, the Giants recalled pitchers Dan Otero and Dan Runzler from Triple-A Fresno ... San Francisco went 4-for-15 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base ... Giants starter Ryan Vogelsong allowed six runs on nine hits in 3 1/3 innings, while Kennedy gave up five runs on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings.
- ARIZONA: 8
SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Sep 5 2:35 AM
- Miguel Montero singled to center scored Jason Kubel. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Ryan Wheeler due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Giants 6 Top 11, 1 OutSep 5 2:12 AM
- Jason Kubel tripled to right scored Aaron Hill. Runner on third with one out and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Giants 6 Top 11, 1 OutSep 5 2:10 AM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to left scored Angel Pagan. Runner on first with one out and Buster Posey due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Giants 6 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 5 12:49 AM
- Brandon Belt one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Hunter Pence. Gregor Blanco due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Giants 5 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 5 12:20 AM
- Hunter Pence doubled to left scored Pablo Sandoval. Runner on second with one out and Brandon Belt due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Giants 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 5 12:18 AM
- Aaron Hill one-out, two-run Home Run (21) to left center scored Adam Eaton. Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Giants 2 Top 4, 1 OutSep 4 11:36 PM
- Marco Scutaro doubled to left center scored Brandon Crawford. Runner on second with two outs and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Giants 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 4 11:22 PM
- John McDonald singled to right scored Justin Upton and Paul Goldschmidt. On the play, Miguel Montero was thrown out at home to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 4, Giants 1 Mid 3Sep 4 11:14 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt doubled to right scored Aaron Hill. On the play, Justin Upton advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 1 Top 3, 1 OutSep 4 11:05 PM
- Ian Kennedy singled to right scored Ryan Wheeler. Runner on second with two outs and as Kennedy advanced to second on Hunter Pence's throwing error and Adam Eaton due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 4 10:50 PM
- Pablo Sandoval grounded out second to first scored Marco Scutaro. None on with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 4 10:36 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 10:15 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21