Rockies hold off D'backs in 13 inningsOct 2, 2012 - 7:20 AM
Tyler Colvin hit a ground-rule double to open the 13th and scored without a play at the plate on Nelson's base hit up the middle.
Brad Bergesen (2-1) was pulled with the bases loaded and one out, and Blackmon greeted Mike Zagurski with an RBI single. Herrera added a fielder's choice grounder that plated DJ LeMahieu and Matt McBride scored on a wild pitch -- with both runs proving vital as a result of an Arizona rally in the bottom half.
Josh Roenicke, in relief of Josh Outman (1-3), walked in a run and gave up a sacrifice fly to Chris Johnson before striking out Gerardo Parra to pick up his first career save.
"To bring Chris Johnson with a chance to win the game ... That's something you can't do if you want to be a championship caliber club," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Arizona, which has lost four of its last six, took an early lead on Aaron Hill's solo blast off Drew Pomeranz in the first inning.
Parra added a leadoff shot in the fifth for a 2-0 edge behind Wade Miley, who was cruising until Wilin Rosario cut the Rockies' deficit in half with a solo homer in the seventh.
Miley, a Rookie of the Year candidate, had a chance to get out of the eighth, but with a runner on second and two outs, Josh Rutledge doubled off the wall in right-center to knock in Blackmon. Rutledge then scored the go-ahead run when Colvin doubled just inside the first-base bag.
Miley finished with 10 strikeouts and no walks over 7 2/3 innings and was charged with three runs on six hits.
"Just locating the heater," Miley said. "I was in and out, up and down."
In the ninth, Paul Goldschmidt took the left-handed rookie off the hook when he sent a Rafael Betancourt offering just over the wall in right-center to tie things.
The Rockies snapped a three-game slide ... Miley, who finished with a 3.33 ERA, set a franchise rookie record with 29 starts, and his 16 wins are tied for the most among NL rookies since 1986 ... Pomeranz, also a rookie, gave up two runs on three hits and two walks while fanning seven over five innings. He lowered his ERA to 4.93 ... Betancourt has six blown saves ... Blackmon had four of Colorado's 13 hits ... Game time: 4:14.
- COLORADO: 7
Oct 2 1:54 AM
- Chris Johnson sacrifice fly to left scored Justin Upton. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Gerardo Parra due up.
Rockies 7, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 13, 2 OutsOct 2 1:52 AM
- Konrad Schmidt walked scoring A.J. Pollock with one out. Bases loaded and Chris Johnson due up.
Rockies 7, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 13, 1 OutOct 2 1:50 AM
- Jonathan Herrera advances to second, Charlie Blackmon advances to third and Matt McBride scored on a Mike Zagurski wild pitch with two out. Runners on second and third and Josh Rutledge at the plate.
Rockies 7, Diamondbacks 3 Top 13, 2 OutsOct 2 1:36 AM
- Jonathan Herrera safe on a fielder's choice scoring DJ LeMahieu with one out. On the play, Charlie Blackmon advances to second and Matt McBride advances to third. Bases loaded and Josh Outman due up.
Rockies 6, Diamondbacks 3 Top 13, 1 OutOct 2 1:30 AM
- Charlie Blackmon single to center scored Chris Nelson with one out. On the play, Matt McBride advances to second and DJ LeMahieu advances to third. Bases loaded and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 5, Diamondbacks 3 Top 13, 1 OutOct 2 1:28 AM
- Chris Nelson single to center scored Tyler Colvin with none out. Runner on first and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 4, Diamondbacks 3 Top 13, 0 OutsOct 2 1:14 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, solo Home Run (20) to center. Miguel Montero due up.
Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 9, 1 OutOct 2 12:00 AM
- Tyler Colvin double to right scored Josh Rutledge with two out. Runner on second and Chris Nelson due up.
Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 8, 2 OutsOct 1 11:37 PM
- Josh Rutledge double to right scored Charlie Blackmon with two out. Runner on second and Tyler Colvin due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 8, 2 OutsOct 1 11:37 PM
- Wilin Rosario one-out, solo Home Run (28) to left. Andrew Brown due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 1 OutOct 1 11:16 PM
- Gerardo Parra lead-off Home Run (7) to center. John McDonald due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsOct 1 10:53 PM
- Aaron Hill one-out, solo Home Run (25) to left. Justin Upton due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutOct 1 9:52 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Oct 1 9:44 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21