Johnson's 2-run HR sends O's past RaysMay 12, 2012 - 4:13 AM
"The main thing is, we got a win," said Johnson. "And guys are playing the right way and we have to continue that. It's a long season."
Adam Jones and Nick Markakis each hit solo homers for the Orioles, who were coming off losing three of four at home against Texas.
Darren O'Day (3-0) turned in a scoreless top of the seventh to earn the win, and Jim Johnson notched his 10th save with a perfect ninth.
Elliot Johnson and Carlos Pena drove in the runs for the Rays, who skidded to their fifth loss in six games.
Joel Peralta (0-2) took the loss and the blown save after serving up the deciding home run.
Tampa starter Jeremy Hellickson retired the first two batters in the seventh, but allowed a single to Chris Davis, and his night was complete. Enter Peralta, who promptly surrendered Johnson's winner, his first longball of the season, to put the O's on top.
"That's the part that hurts the most. Your starter pitchers a good game and you ruin it," said Peralta.
Pedro Strop and Johnson then combined to set down the last six Rays of the contest.
Tampa got on the board in the second when Sean Rodriguez grounded into a run- scoring double play, but Jones' leadoff homer in the bottom half squared the score.
The Rays moved ahead 3-1 in the fourth on a Johnson single and Pena hit-by- pitch, both with the bases loaded.
Markakis reached the seats in right-center in the home sixth to make it a one- run contest.
Baltimore has won its last three home tilts against Tampa Bay...Hellickson ended up allowing five hits and three runs over 6 2/3 innings, while his counterpart Dana Eveland -- recalled from Triple-A Norfolk prior to the contest -- lasted six innings and gave up three runs on five hits with six walks and two strikeouts...In other Orioles roster moves, the club placed pitcher Matt Lindstrom on the 15-day disabled list with a right middle finger injury and also designated infielder Zelous Wheeler for assignment...Also for Baltimore, pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada underwent elbow ligament replacement surgery on his pitching shoulder.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
May 11 9:45 PM
- Nick Johnson two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Chris Davis. Robert Andino due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 11 9:18 PM
- Nick Markakis two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Adam Jones due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 11 8:54 PM
- Carlos Pena was hit-by-pitch Jose Molina scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 11 8:13 PM
- Elliot Johnson single to right scored Matt Joyce with two outs. On the play, Jose Molina advances to third and Sean Rodriguez out at home on the throw. Runners on second and third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 2, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 11 8:11 PM
- Adam Jones lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Matt Wieters due up.
Rays 1, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 11 7:34 PM
- Sean Rodriguez ground into a double play, third to second to first scored Luke Scott with two outs. Matt Joyce out at second Jeff Keppinger advances to third. Runner on third and Jose Molina due up.
Rays 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 11 7:27 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 11 7:09 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21