Orioles edge IndiansJun 30, 2012 - 4:49 AM
Wieters hit a three-run bomb and Avery smacked a solo shot, his first career home run and one that proved to be the difference, for the O's, who snapped a three-game losing streak.
"That's real exciting," said Avery about his home run. "It really wouldn't have meant a lot if we didn't get a win with it, but we got a win with it so it means the whole world."
J.J. Hardy, Wilson Betemit and Chris Davis also knocked in runs in the win.
Both starting pitchers struggled in the game and pitched to no-decisions. Derek Lowe allowed seven runs -- four earned -- on six hits and three walks in 5 1/3 innings. Although it was Joe Smith (5-2) who took the loss after he gave up the deciding run in the bottom of the seventh.
Jake Arrieta surrendered five runs, eight hits and two walks in 3 2/3. The Baltimore offense bailed him out, though, and Matt Lindstrom (1-0) picked up the win for retiring Jason Kipnis and ending a Cleveland threat in the top of the seventh.
Michael Brantley gave the Indians a first-inning lead, but Baltimore responded with three in the bottom half of the frame.
The Indians, who had previously gone six games without an error, committed two in the first inning to help spring Baltimore's rally. After Hardy drove in a run and reached base on Asdrubal Cabrera's miscue, Adam Jones reached base on an infield single. Betemit then doubled off the right-field fence to drive in a second run. Davis followed with a groundout that plated a third.
Cabrera hit his sixth home run of June and 11th of the season to close the gap to 3-2 in the third.
The Tribe went ahead with a three-run fourth inning. After Casey Kotchman, Lonnie Chisenhall and Lou Marson reached base, Arrieta walked Choo to force in a run. After Cabrera was retired for the second out of the inning, Kipnis ripped a base hit to right field, scoring two and giving Cleveland a 5-3 lead.
After Baltimore picked up a run in the fifth, it went ahead on Wieters' three- run shot down the right-field line, which gave the Orioles a 7-5 lead in the sixth inning.
"He just cruised the whole night," said Indians manager Manny Acta of Lowe. "He pitched well, just got hurt there by that pitch on Wieters."
Kotchman and Shelley Duncan doubled to start the seventh inning and pull the Indians within one run. Jack Hannahan blooped a single to left to put runners on the corners before Marson ground into a double play, which scored the tying run.
The Orioles retaliated with a two-out rally, started by a Davis base hit. After Wieters worked a walk, Flaherty singled through the right side to drive in Davis and put the O's up for good.
Avery gave the O's some insurance with an eighth-inning opposite-field shot to left field, which Baltimore needed.
Pedro Strop kept the Indians off the board in the eighth, but Jim Johnson allowed a two-out run on a Choo single in the ninth. However, he got Cabrera to pop out to finish the game and pick up his 23rd save.
Chisenhall left the game in the fifth inning after being hit in the arm by a pitch...The Indians have lost five of their last six...The Indians have scored 22 runs in their last four games...Lowe is 1-5 in his last eight starts with a 7.33 earned run average (35 earned runs in 43 innings)...Betemit has hit safely in his last nine games, including five straight multi-hit games, hitting .517 (15-29) in that span...Johnson had not allowed a run in 9 1/3 innings...Over its last four games, Baltimore has allowed 33 runs and 58 hits...Baltimore is 14-6 in one-run games...The O's are 30-0 when leading after seven innings...Baltimore is 10-4 against teams from the American League Central.
- CLEVELAND: 8
Jun 29 10:34 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo singled to center scoring Shelley Duncan with two out. Runner on first and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 8, Orioles 9 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 29 10:31 PM
- Xavier Avery one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. J.J. Hardy due up.
Indians 7, Orioles 9 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 29 10:18 PM
- Ryan Flaherty singled to right scoring Chris Davis with two out. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to third. Runners on first and third and Robert Andino due up.
Indians 7, Orioles 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 29 10:04 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo singled to center. Runner on first with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 7, Orioles 7 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 29 9:44 PM
- Jack Hannahan singled to left. On the play, Shelley Duncan advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Lou Marson due up.
Indians 6, Orioles 7 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 29 9:41 PM
- Matt Wieters one-out, three-run Home Run (11) to right scored Wilson Betemit and Chris Davis. Ryan Flaherty due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 7 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 29 9:15 PM
- Xavier Avery grounded out second to first scoring Robert Andino with two out. None on and J.J. Hardy due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 29 8:59 PM
- Jason Kipnis singled to center scoring Lonnie Chisenhall and Lou Marson with two out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on first and third and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 29 8:28 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo walked scoring Casey Kotchman with one out. Bases loaded and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 3 Top 4, 1 OutJun 29 8:24 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 3 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 29 8:00 PM
- Chris Davis grounded out third to first scoring Adam Jones with two out. Runner on second and Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 29 7:38 PM
- Wilson Betemit doubled to right scoring J.J. Hardy with one out. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on second and third and Chris Davis due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 29 7:36 PM
- J.J. Hardy reached first on Asdrubal Cabrera's fielding error which scored Brian Roberts with one out. Runner on first and Adam Jones due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 29 7:33 PM
- Michael Brantley singled to left scoring Shin-Soo Choo with one out. On the play, Jason Kipnis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Johnny Damon due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 29 7:18 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 29 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21