O's top Rays in 10thAug 6, 2012 - 1:05 AM
Reynolds walked before Teagarden sent a 3-2 fastball into the left-center gap two batters later.
Luis Ayala (3-3) earned the win after stranding two in the ninth and Jim Johnson tossed a perfect 10th to pick up his 32nd save.
The Rays put a runner on second with one out in the ninth, but Jeff Keppinger grounded into a fielder's choice and Ryan Roberts struck out to end the threat.
Miguel Gonzalez had the best outing of his rookie season, giving up just two hits over seven innings with four strikeouts for Baltimore, winners in five of its last seven.
"I stayed within myself and stayed confident," Gonzalez said. "I kept the ball down and went with it."
David Price also had a stellar outing for Tampa Bay, surrendering just two hits over eight frames. He struck out five and walked three as the Rays were shut out for the second game in a row.
"I got some excellent change-ups today and I was able to get some early outs on my cutter," Price said. "My fastball today isn't what it has been the past couple starts, but it was good for me to go out there and compete."
Joel Peralta (1-4) absorbed the loss after giving up the game-winning run in the 10th.
With two on and two outs in the second, Teagarden sent a fly ball deep to right, but Matt Joyce made a spectacular over-the-shoulder catch just a few feet from the fence to save two potential runs from scoring.
The Orioles had a runner on second in the ninth but were unable to get him around. Robert Andino walked then moved to second on a J.J. Hardy sacrifice bunt, but Fernando Rodney got Adam Jones and Matt Wieters to ground out to short and Tampa Bay escaped without harm.
"This time of year, I'm sure you're noticing there are a lot of really well pitched games," Baltimore manager Buck Showalter said. "It's pretty normal from my experience. Late July through early August you'll see some really well pitched games."
Baltimore is 11-2 in extra inning games this season...The Orioles have won 32 games on the road this season. The last time the O's have won more than 32 road games was in 2007 when they won 34 road tilts. They have 24 road games remaining this season...Price hasn't lost a start since June 13th...Ben Zobrist left in the fourth inning with back spasms. The injury is not believed to be serious and he is considered day-to-day...The Rays have been held to six or less hits 40 times this year.
- BALTIMORE: 1
TAMPA BAY: 0
Aug 5 4:52 PM
- Taylor Teagarden double to center scored Mark Reynolds with two out. Runner on second and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 1, Rays 0 Top 10, 2 OutsAug 5 4:44 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 5 1:42 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21