Gonzalez, Pedroia help Red Sox top O'sAug 17, 2012 - 4:41 AM
Cody Ross went 3-for-5 with an RBI and Scott Podsednik had two hits and knocked in a run for the Red Sox, who have won just three of their last nine games.
Clay Buchholz (11-3) allowed three runs on eight hits and struck out seven over eight frames to pick up the win.
"(Baltimore) was jumping on (Buchholz's) early pitches, he got down early and when he saw that we had some resiliency in our offense he shut the door and shut it fast," Boston manager Bobby Valentine said. "And after he got the lead, gosh, that six inning, he was like a man possessed. He was a great competitor and a great pitcher tonight."
Alfredo Aceves struck out the side in the ninth to pick up his 24th save.
Mark Reynolds had two hits, including a solo homer, and Adam Jones drove in a pair for the Orioles, who lost for the just the third time in 12 tries.
Chris Tillman started for Baltimore and surrendered three runs on six hits and struck out five over 4 2/3 innings. Luis Ayala (4-4) was pegged with the loss after giving up three runs on four hits in just one inning of work.
"His stuff was good," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said of Tillman. "You have to tip your hat a little bit to Boston, they really made him work for everything."
Baltimore took a 2-0 lead in the first. Nick Markakis and J.J. Hardy singled to open the frame before scoring on a Jones double.
The Red Sox countered with a run in the second. Nick Punto walked, moved to second on a wild pitch and advanced to third on Pedro Ciriaco's infield single. Podsednik followed with single to score Punto.
Reynolds' homer in the home half made it 3-1.
The Red Sox added a pair in the fifth and three in the sixth.
In the fifth, Crawford singled and Pedroia followed with a double to put runners at second and third. A wild pitch allowed Crawford to score and Adrian Gonzalez's sacrifice fly plated Pedroia.
"After we scored those runs I tried to keep the momentum on our side," Tillman said. "It was just one of those nights where I had to battle every inning. It was a huge momentum game I was trying to keep it in our dugout but I kept our guys on the field too long."
In the sixth Podsednik ripped a double down the left-field line and Crawford singled, then stole second to put runners on second and third. Three straight RBI singles from Pedroia, Gonzalez and Cody Ross put Boston up 6-3.
"We could have easily came out tonight and played flat again tonight," Ross said. "There are too many guys in here that have been around long enough to know what we have to do, and bring that intensity on a nightly basis, and tonight was a perfect example of that."
Buchholz hasn't lost since July 14 and has won his last three decisions. Buchholz has also gone at least seven innings in six consecutive starts ... Pedroia extended his hitting streak to 11 games ... Baltimore has been out hit in seven of 10 games on its current homestand, but finished 7-3 ... Prior to the game the Orioles placed infielder Wilson Betemit on the 15-day disabled list and recalled infielder Joe Mahoney from Triple-A Norfolk.
- BOSTON: 6
Aug 16 10:30 PM
- Cody Ross single to left scored Dustin Pedroia. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez out at third to end the inning.
Red Sox 6, Orioles 3 Mid 6Aug 16 9:28 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to third scored Scott Podsednik. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 4, Orioles 3 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 16 9:26 PM
- Kevin Gregg enters the game for the Orioles with two outs.
Red Sox 3, Orioles 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 16 8:51 PM
- Carl Crawford scored on a wild pitch, Dustin Pedroia advances to third on a wild pitch. Runner on third with one out and Adrian Gonzalez at the plate.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 16 8:46 PM
- Mark Reynolds lead-off Home Run (12) to center. Manny Machado due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 16 7:49 PM
- Scott Podsednik single to left center scored Nick Punto. On the play, Pedro Ciriaco advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 2 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 16 7:44 PM
- Adam Jones double to right scored Nick Markakis and J.J. Hardy. Runner on second with one out and Matt Wieters due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 16 7:24 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 16 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21