McLouth, O's rally to top TigersAug 19, 2012 - 8:31 PM
Baltimore won the rubber match of the three-game series despite falling behind 5-0 in the first inning.
Wei-Yin Chen (12-7) settled down to throw five innings, getting the win after giving up seven hits and two walks. The rookie left-hander struck out four as the Orioles moved to 11-4 in their last 15 games to remain in possession of the AL's second wild card slot.
Doug Fister (7-8) had a four-start unbeaten streak snapped after allowing seven runs, eight hits and three walks in just 3 2/3 innings. He struck out six.
Omar Infante's solo homer and Jhonny Peralta's three-run blast highlighted Detroit's five-run first inning.
The Tigers sent nine batters to the plate in the inning against Chen, who had given up just one run and two hits in six innings of a no-decision against them last month.
But the Orioles came all the way back, taking a 7-5 lead by the fourth inning.
Chris Davis led off the second with his 20th homer for the Orioles, a line drive over the left-center field wall to spark a four-run inning. Nick Markakis hit an RBI double later and J.J. Hardy followed with a two-run double to draw the Orioles within 5-4.
Fister struck out the first two batters in the fourth but walked Taylor Teagarden and Markakis before McLouth tripled to right-center field. Adam Jones followed with a single to make it 7-5 and knock Fister from the game.
The Tigers had two men on in the seventh, but Prince Fielder grounded into an inning-ending double play. Jim Johnson set them down in order in the ninth for his 37th save.
Earlier, Infante stroked a solo homer to left field and Peralta went the other way with a three-run blast to right-center field to highlight Detroit's first inning rally. Jeff Baker added an RBI double for the 5-0 lead.
The teams split the six-game season series ... The Orioles will finish a six- game road trip at Texas starting Monday ... The Tigers are 1-2 on a nine-game homestand that continues with three against the Blue Jays beginning Tuesday ... Fister had been 3-0 in his previous four outings and 6-1 in his last eight.
- BALTIMORE: 7
Aug 19 4:11 PM
- Adam Jones single to right scored Nate McLouth. Runner on first with two out and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 7, Tigers 5 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 19 2:21 PM
- Nate McLouth triple to right scored Nick Markakis and J.J. Hardy. Runner on third with two out and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 6, Tigers 5 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 19 2:20 PM
- J.J. Hardy double to left scored Taylor Teagarden and Nick Markakis. Runner on second with two out and Nate McLouth due up.
Orioles 4, Tigers 5 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 19 1:44 PM
- Nick Markakis double to center scored Omar Quintanilla. On the play, Taylor Teagarden advances to third. Runners on second and third with two out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 2, Tigers 5 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 19 1:42 PM
- Chris Davis lead-off Home Run (20) to left-center. Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 1, Tigers 5 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 19 1:32 PM
- Jeff Baker double to center scored Delmon Young. Runner on second with one out and Gerald Laird due up.
Orioles 0, Tigers 5 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 19 1:25 PM
- Jhonny Peralta one-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right scored Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder. Delmon Young due up.
Orioles 0, Tigers 4 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 19 1:21 PM
- Omar Infante one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Miguel Cabrera due up.
Orioles 0, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 19 1:14 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 1:05 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22