Jones' blast propels O's to sweep of MarinersSep 20, 2012 - 6:27 AM
"We need the win, this point in the year we need wins," Jones said. "It doesn't matter how we get them. We just need the win. Everybody here wants to win, they're not taking no for an answer. It's pretty much how it is, it's not rocket science."
Mark Reynolds also knocked in a run for Baltimore, which has won four straight, including an 18-inning affair on Tuesday, and moved within a half- game of the New York Yankees for the top spot in the AL East.
Luis Ayala (5-4) left the bases loaded in the bottom of the 10th to earn the win. Jim Johnson worked around three base runners in the bottom of the 11th to secure his 45th save of the season, which ties the Orioles' single-season record set by Randy Myers in 1997.
Josh Kinney (0-3) surrendered Jones' blast to take the loss for the Mariners, who have dropped six of their last seven.
Both starting pitchers put in a dominant performance as Joe Saunders allowed one run on five hits with no walks over eight innings for Baltimore, and Felix Hernandez gave up a run on six hits and a walk while striking out six over an eight-inning start for Seattle.
Kinney took the mound for Seattle for the 11th inning and retired the first batter before allowing a base hit to Nate McLouth.
Jones followed with a shot well over the wall in left field for the deciding runs.
Johnson gave up back-to-back singles to Kyle Seager and Jesus Montero to start the bottom of the 11th, but then got Justin Smoak to ground into a 3-6-1 double play.
Michael Saunders followed with a walk to replace the tying runs on the bases, but was thrown out trying to steal second to end the game.
"I trust him out there," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said of Saunders. "He has a pretty good feel out there and he's not taking off right there unless he feels like he can make it. Catcher happens to make a good transfer and a perfect throw and he gets him."
Baltimore broke the scoreless tie in the fourth inning when Chris Davis reached first by beating out a potential double play before rounding the bases on Reynolds' double into the left-center field gap.
The Mariners, meanwhile, did not register a hit until Franklin Gutierrez tied the game in the bottom of the fourth with a solo blast over the wall in left- center field.
After each team left a man on second in the sixth inning, neither club was able to advance a runner past first base until Seattle loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the 10th inning on walks by Saunders, pinch-hitter Trayvon Robinson and Dustin Ackley.
But Ayala entered from the bullpen and induced a fly ball to shallow left field by Gutierrez to end the threat.
Baltimore recalled pitcher Dylan Bundy from Double-A Bowie earlier Wednesday ... The Orioles won their 15 straight extra-inning game, extending a franchise record ... Seattle has homered in 10 consecutive games ... Baltimore has won eight straight games between the teams and took the season series, 8-1 ... Smoak went 0-for-5 to snap a five-game hit streak.
- BALTIMORE: 3
Sep 20 1:34 AM
- Chris Davis flied out to center. None on with two outs and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 3, Mariners 1 Top 11, 2 OutsSep 20 1:33 AM
- Michael Saunders walked. Runner on first with none out and Miguel Olivo due up.
Orioles 1, Mariners 1 Bot 10, 0 OutsSep 20 1:30 AM
- Franklin Gutierrez one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. Kyle Seager due up.
Orioles 1, Mariners 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 19 11:06 PM
- Mark Reynolds single to center scored Chris Davis with two out. Runner on first and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 1, Mariners 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 19 10:55 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 10:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21