Red Sox hold on to edge OriolesSep 24, 2012 - 4:02 AM
Dustin Pedroia and Ross hit consecutive doubles off Luis Ayala (5-5) to begin the eighth.
"(Pedroia) got a big double to leadoff the inning and Cody, who has driven in runs all year, drove in the second run for us to squeeze by. They're good players," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said.
After Junichi Tazawa (1-1) retired the Orioles in order, Bailey was called to record the final three outs. Mark Reynolds hit a one-out single and pinch- hitter Jim Thome followed with a ground-rule double. Chris Davis was then intentionally walked to load the bases for Manny Machado, who grounded into a force out at the plate. Bailey preserved the win and notched his sixth save by striking out pinch-hitter Ryan Flaherty.
Baltimore remains one game behind the AL East-leading Yankees. Oakland beat New York to move within one game of the Orioles for the top wild card spot.
Felix Doubront gave up one run on four hits with a career-high 11 strikeouts in seven innings for Boston, which halted a four-game slide.
Chris Tillman allowed a run and six hits over six innings for the Orioles, who had their win streak snapped at a season-high six games.
"He gave us a really good chance," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said about Tillman. "If we did a couple of thing defensively, he would have probably pitched seven or eight (innings)."
The Red Sox grabbed a 1-0 lead in the fourth inning. With two runners aboard and one away, Danny Valencia hit a ground ball to short. J.J. Hardy fielded and fired to second base for the second out. Robert Andino looked to complete the double play, but made a poor throw to first. The error enabled Ross, who had led off with a single, to score.
Baltimore was held without a hit through the first four innings, but strung three together to begin the fifth. Lew Ford singled and Davis doubled before Machado's blooper brought home Ford with the tying run.
Baltimore's Dylan Bundy made his MLB debut, recording the final two outs in the eighth ... The Orioles lost for only the second time in nine games at Fenway Park this season ... Boston was 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position.
- BALTIMORE: 1
Sep 23 4:30 PM
- Cody Ross doubled to left scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on second with none out and James Loney due up.
Orioles 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 23 4:08 PM
- Nate McLouth struck out swinging. Runners on first and third with two out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 1, Red Sox 1 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 23 3:08 PM
- Danny Valencia grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second James Loney out at second. On the play, Cody Ross scored on Robert Andino's throwing error with two out. Runner on first and Daniel Nava due up.
Orioles 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 23 2:54 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Sep 23 1:38 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21