Rays nip Red Sox, avoid sweepApr 16, 2012 - 6:48 PM
Shields (2-0) let up four hits and a pair of walks while striking out five in 8 1/3 innings for the Rays, who avoided a sweep. Fernando Rodney picked up his fourth save of the year by recording the last two outs.
Cody Ross collected two hits for the Red Sox. Daniel Bard (0-2) was the hard- luck loser, charged with four hits and one run over 6 2/3 frames. The converted reliever fanned seven but also issued seven walks.
The visitors snapped the scoreless deadlock in the seventh.
Sean Rodriguez worked a two-out walk, then Desmond Jennings singled and Carlos Pena drew a base on balls. Bard then forced in a run by walking Longoria, but Justin Thomas came on to induce a fly out from Luke Scott.
Shields stranded one in the seventh then retired the side in order in the eighth.
Tampa put runners on the corners with two down against Matt Albers in the ninth, but Longoria grounded out to end the threat.
Dustin Pedroia worked a one-out walk in the ninth and Shields gave way to Rodney. Adrian Gonzalez grounded out to move the runner up, then David Ortiz was given a free pass. But Ross was caught looking at a called third strike that was clearly outside.
The Rays had two on and one out in the fourth, but Jeff Keppinger hit into an inning-ending double play. Longoria then fanned with two on and two out in the fifth.
The Sox stranded a runner at third in the second.
Shields hadn't turned in a scoreless outing since going eight innings during a 4-1 win over Texas on August 31...The Red Sox fell to 67-50 all-time on Patriots' Day, and 0-3 against the Rays...Tampa heads to Toronto and Boston remains home to host Texas on Tuesday...Republican presidential candidate and former Massachusetts governor (2003-07) Mitt Romney was in attendance.
- TAMPA BAY: 1
Apr 16 2:13 PM
- Evan Longoria walked scoring Sean Rodriguez with two out. Bases loaded and Luke Scott due up.
Rays 1, Red Sox 0 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 16 1:06 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 11:05 AM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21